ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

LAN Storage (NAS/ USB/ etc)

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Looking for a solution to a problem...

Have infrastructure/network backbone at home...

1 Wireless Router
1 Internal Router
1 Internal Switch
1 Wireless Print Server
2 Wireless Laptops (XP)
1 Xbox 360
1 PS3 (incoming)

Now, I want to store all my media on the network so it is accessible from both laptops (easy peasey) and also my xbox 360 for media streaming and also will be required for my PS3 for the same thing...

I guess I'm looking for a NAS box of sorts but want something fast I can easily get files onto...

Thoughts, ideas and suggestions?!

Clio 197
Howabout a dedicated bare bones PC, with your drives attached?

I've found file/print sharing on XP to be very valuable, only I don't know anything about xbox/PS3 and how they'd work in your case.

If not file/print sharing, howabout using it as a server?

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
I have a Poweredge 2400 in my hall cupboard. I got it for nothing from work but I've seen them on ebay for £35. I have 5 discs currently totalling 1.5TB. I can fit another 3 and maybe more with some modification to the chassis. Pick one up, ditch the SCSI backplane and fire in some SATA cards and your laughing. Dabs do 4 port SATA RAID cards for £16. You can also shoe-horn in dual 1.4Ghz Tualatin core P3 processors which are actually fairly quick. This little beast has run flawlessly and serves up 1.5TB of HD content to my home cinema system :)

If you want a cheep jobby look on ebay. I got a external HDD caddy with NAS/USB for £30. All you do is put the disk in and off you go. It shows up as a network drive in Windows/Linux.

Its crashed a couple of times and needed a soft reset, but its been on for 3 months 24/7 and hasnt put a foot wrong.

The best feature is that you can set it up as a FTP server so if you set up a DNS and you can ftp into it from work etc and grab/save files to/from it.

A red missile
We store massive amounts of data on our home/office network here, so far i'm running 5 of these with 500Gb drives, i like these because they're cheap and work as NAS or directly connected USB 2.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Network-Attac...0101955042QQcategoryZ1484QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

one of these with a 250Gb drive (thats all it'll take)

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/108449

and just got hold of one of these babies

http://www.dabs.com/productview.asp...&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0

If the terrastation works well, i'll be offloading the rest and getting another of these. Stay tuned, there might be a load of NAS gear going cheap soon :)

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Local Area Network NAS box is a negative. Xbox 360 can't see it, it can only be on a Windows-based PC (obviously running WMP11, Windows Media Connect or Windows Media Centre).

Pity really, NAS support would be nice. Oh well, got a 300GB NAS box doing sweet FA. Nice though! Supports FTP etc... I guess I'll use it somewhere! :)

Evil Ally, sounds like your solution is best and just RAID a s**t load of disks together. Will have to find somwhere to put it as I don't want to be disturbed by the noise (unless I get a silent fans etc = cost/expense) :(

There's one on Ebay for £79.99 in London... ends tomorrow.... oooooh :D