ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Laptop advice

Leon FR ST
With Lockdown happening again I am looking to purchase a laptop for home schooling my eldest (rather than using our old slow tablet)

It will be used mainly for using ‘Seesaw’ learning app, Microsoft word etc and video calls.

What kind of specification is best to look at and also brands would be recommended?

I notice some have SSD memory or HDD memory – what is better?

Also was looking to possibly purchase a refurbished laptop – is this recommended – theory was that I won’t be as precious about it when he is using it.

I appreciate it might be a bit subjective but just thought would ask the question to see if I was on the right track before I bought anything.

Cheers

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
@Perrinho you got anything at the moment?

Shouldn't need anything too fast for Seesaw. We manage to use it on our phone/ Amazon tablet so it's not too taxing.

I notice some have SSD memory or HDD memory – what is better?

Just to help with that specific question; SSD = Solid State Disk, it is all just storage chips, HDD = Hard Disk Drive, is older tech with a spinning disk.

SSD tends to be faster and more £££ but nothing really wrong with HDD and they are still very much in use today. The only thing I would point out given it's intended use, if you drop a HDD it could get damaged (think needle on a record), where as SSD has no moving parts.

Leon FR ST
Just to help with that specific question; SSD = Solid State Disk, it is all just storage chips, HDD = Hard Disk Drive, is older tech with a spinning disk.

SSD tends to be faster and more £££ but nothing really wrong with HDD and they are still very much in use today. The only thing I would point out given it's intended use, if you drop a HDD it could get damaged (think needle on a record), where as SSD has no moving parts.
Thanks, part of the reason I am thinking about going refurbished as not sure what abuse it will get....even if it's unintentionally.
Looking at Lenevo ThinkPad as they seem cheaper at £200ish but happy to receive advice on pros and cons if them.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Thanks, part of the reason I am thinking about going refurbished as not sure what abuse it will get....even if it's unintentionally.
Looking at Lenevo ThinkPad as they seem cheaper at £200ish but happy to receive advice on pros and cons if them.
There's a Surface tablet in the for sale section ATM.. any good ?!

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
We've had a couple of cheap ASUS ones over the years. Think they were £200-250ish with (small) SSDs.

One just for sitting in my garage/going away with to listen to music/watch YouTube. The other was for the gf to do her uni work on and she was very happy with it.

SSDs make them feel nice and snappy to boot up. Just don't expect much performance elsewhere.