ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Auto desk Inventor.Which laptop do I buy ?

JON FOZ

ClioSport Club Member
  EVO 6
I’m looking to start using Autodesk Inventor.
I’m looking to use it on a laptop.

would anyone have any recommendations which to buy ?

Im only using it for simple designs of upto 10 parts per program.
I won’t need to run many other windows at the same time.

Any help greatly appreciated

Jon

Firstly, buy a desktop.

More powerful for less money. Easily upgradable 5 years down the line or should you become interested in FEA/CFD/rendering. Easier/cheaper to have more screen space which is great for being able to see detail without loosing the bigger picture, or for having CAD & BOMs/requirements/excel/whatever side by side. Laptops are inherently terrible in terms of cooling & power management too so tend to degrade over time more severely than a desktop.

In terms of spec... contrary to popular belief/outdated experience you really do not need anything particularly special these days. It’s a bit like how the speed limit on a motorway hasn’t changed in years & years, but meanwhile powertrain development has continued so a boggo 2.0D can now do 140mph. Modern CAD programmes are very resource-efficient and modern integrated graphics don’t have any problems displaying or navigating models. If you’re good at keeping your computer free of unnecessary crap you genuinely can do absolutely fine on an SSD, 8gb RAM and a modern quad core. But go 16gb & Ryzen on a Desktop for a bit of longevity/VFM/treat yourself.

Do you use any CAD programmes on anything at the moment which you are happy/unhappy with that the spec could be checked for reference?

R56 MCS & S1 106 XS
Graphics card is important for 3D modelling more so that the processor. Lookout for a dedicated graphics card rather than integrated graphics. I’d opt for a larger screen personally. Dell G3 15 is marketed as a budget gaming laptop, should be good for you without all the bells and whistles for hardcore gamers but good enough for CAD.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
My pc is ancient and can handle inventor no problem so unless you're shopping at the very bottom end you should be OK. I didn't draw a rocket ship on it though!