ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Laptop problem - windows won't load properly

My girlfriends laptop has a problem. It's running XP.

Now, last week, internet explorer stopped working. I thought at first, it would be the wireless connection, but she could sign into MSN so it was connecting to the internet. I realised it had happened after a windows update and her installing some software for her mp3 player, so I did a system restore to a date earlier than both of them.

Internet explorer then worked. But when she shut it down, it installed the updates again, and wouldn't work next time she turned it on. So last night I went to do another system restore (as I didn't know which update it was buggering up internet explorer) and I was going to install firefox as a temp measure so she could still use internet.

But, the laptop did a system restore, then when restarting I had a message saying explorer could not start and re-installing something may cure the problem. I can put in the password, and the wallpaper loads, and that's it.

CTRL+ALT+DEL brings up the task manager thingy, but I don't know if it's worth trying to start explorer as a new process from there? Can I?

What should I do? It's an Acer laptop, it didn't come with a window disc, but I'm pretty sure I did a disc somewhen when it was new, which was meant to be a boot disc if it buggered up.

Any ideas?

SLK 350
Try starting a new "explorer.exe" task from TM for a start, could just have corrupted the profile or similar.

cock mobile.
Could always try the Norton tools, sometimes they get lucky.

Try loading it in safe mode and remove any recent programs / updates.

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
If the start new explorer task idea doesnt work it might be just as handy to wack in a Windows XP disc and do an OS repair.

Oh dear what?

Do I have to go and buy XP? I really don't understand why Acer don't supply them with the laptop.

cock mobile.
Oh dear what?

Do I have to go and buy XP? I really don't understand why Acer don't supply them with the laptop.

Tis ghey, a lot of companies don't supply proper discs, only "recovery" discs which can't be used in the normal way like std XP discs.

You could try someone else's disc, but then it's likely not to work with your licence key, etc.

Have you tried safe mode yet? And doing the usual scans, etc?