ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Larger final drive ratio

Clio 172 2002
Whats your opinions on this??

5.25 Final Drive Ratio

If you want to dramatically improve your acceleration of your Clio you could spend thousands of ££££££ on increasing your BHP to over 200

Or

You could fit a lower final drive ratio to the gearbox.

For a much lower price the addition of a lower final drive ratio the acceleration of your car will match some of the fastest big BHP Clios on the road, stage or track.

The top speed (120mph @6500 in 5th) should still be far in excess of anything you can do legally on the road!
Taken from the fleabay add, 600 notes anyone got one??

Renault Clio 172
Dont think the clio really needs a lower final drive unless your racing it, when mine had a kangoo box fitted with longer gearing/final drive (i dont know the figures to compare) it was noticeably faster than most other 172/182's because i was able to hang onto gears for longer, seemed much better suited to circuit use to be honest even though it goes against logic

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
I've got a 5.25 CWP in my hillclimb car and it's great for hillclimbs but absolutely f**king s**t b*****d t**t nasty horrible if you want to go any where above 60 on the road

if you build a car right , you would up the final drive to lower top speed and therefore make acceleration quicker , however you nearly always (or i have on track cars) have a long first gear fitted , as first on track most of the time is never ever used.

I use second as first, shown here

similar to using a long first however not quite the same .

what you really need to do is play with a ratio calculator and look at power and max revs and sit down and work it all out .

the trouble with a clio is your most likely restricted in what ratios are available .

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
like this, so as you change up the revs drop half way between peak torque and peak hp
IMG_0625.JPG