ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Laser Jammers!

[Old man moment]

Arent you worried about using it? Ive personally got no problems and would LOVE to get one but dont fancy the potentially REALLY bad $hit if you get caught.

[Old man moment passed]

Quote: Originally posted by craig182 on 11 July 2004

[Old man moment]

Arent you worried about using it? Ive personally got no problems and would LOVE to get one but dont fancy the potentially REALLY bad $hit if you get caught.

[Old man moment passed]

Yeah I think I would be kinda worried about that too, as the fine is "Perverting the course of justice", so I am told..... which sounds like alot more sh*t than a £60 fine and 3 points??

Anyone know??

Simon.

Alfa Mito 155TB

Maybe the danger is only worth it if you are already up to 9 points and close to loosing your license..that is probably when i would buy one.

Ford Fiesta

how easy is it for an officer to tell you have one on though? I mean they can be well hidden, not easily seen just by lifting bonnet etc

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

If you hide it well they shouldnt be able to find it easy.. but the laser diode that transmits the jammer signal will always be slightly visable.

But everytime ive seen one of those laser trap vans on the sides of motorways it only has one person in the thing !

Ford Fiesta

thats what I mean, they just gonna think theres something up with their gun, or is it easy for them to tell its been jammed by a jammer

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 12 July 2004

If you hide it well they shouldnt be able to find it easy.. but the laser diode that transmits the jammer signal will always be slightly visable.

But everytime ive seen one of those laser trap vans on the sides of motorways it only has one person in the thing !

The guys that are in the vans in Fife arent even Police men!

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold

hmmmmm a grey area, heheh

whos got an electric garage door opener?? u can all have one then lmao

I believe you can get sent down for perverting the course of justice! (dont think that would necessarily happen for this BUT ...)

I cant remember where I found out but apparently an error will appear on the equipment if the jammer is active. The jammer, I believe, stays on for around 3 seconds allowing you to slow down and then they will be able to get a reading when the jammer deactivates. My personal concern (given the potentially massive consequences) is that they might follow up these errors ... particularly if you have a sporty car (or 9 points on your license) for example.

Equally I understand people thinking the last statement is tosh and they wouldnt have the time/resources/inclination to do this ... they are probably right as well. Its up to the individual to weigh up the risk to them I guess.

tumbleweed, I also know what you mean about 9 points ... I currently have 3 (Feb 03) and probably 6 coming (court date not known yet!) so Im worried too! Im gonna buy a b2 and try to drive very very carefully till my first 3 drop off!

Craig

[Edited by craig182 on 12 July 2004 at 12:24am]

Just found a link ... you can get sent down for perverting the course ... http://www.police-law.co.uk/law/policelaw.nsf/0/2e28d3ebdd11dc5780256e04005b2ee1?Opendocument http://www.police-law.co.uk/law/policelaw.nsf/0/2e28d3ebdd11dc5780256e04005b2ee1?Opendocument

Well remember that old guy (70 ish years old) that held up the "slow down speed camera ahead" sign before a camera van?.. he was done for Perverting the course of Justice and even though he was NOT driving his car he got done with a £350 fine and BANNED from driving anyway....:eek:

Its all down to how well the coppers can defect that youre blocking there signal I guess?

Simon.

Very intresting read that......I wonder how many times the police get "Error" mgs on there laser guns in normal use??... if they get lots then I reckon the Jammer sounds ok.... or do they check up on the "Garage door"....lol

Simon.

Was there was another thread about this.

I have a few friends who are in variuos police forces and I have been lead to belive that the very latest laser speed guns are actually able to notify the operator if they are being actively jammed and do not just flash up an error message.

Quote: Originally posted by EightBall on 12 July 2004

Was there was another thread about this.

I have a few friends who are in variuos police forces and I have been lead to belive that the very latest laser speed guns are actually able to notify the operator if they are being actively jammed and do not just flash up an error message.
Well that sounds a bit more worrying, "Perverting the course of justice" pops into my mind again....:eek: Can anyone else confirm this one?

Simon.

how easy are they to uninstall?...thats the big question, so if you have one, it works, you drive past giving it the two fingers up and then stop at the next services or when you gat home and take it out of your car.:devilish:

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Well my defense would be that they would have to prove you had the thing turned on !

Its not illegal to fit one to your car, just to use it !

To pervert the course of justice there has to have been an offence. If theyve got no speed reading they cant prove whether there was an offence or not!

However, they are going for Obstruction these days, as you are interfering with the police doing their job.

(No points for that though)

Quote: Originally posted by Lozza on 15 July 2004

To pervert the course of justice there has to have been an offence. If theyve got no speed reading they cant prove whether there was an offence or not!

However, they are going for Obstruction these days, as you are interfering with the police doing their job.

(No points for that though)
No points, but wasnt that old boy given a driving ban and a fine recently for alerting motorists to a speed trap even though he wasnt actually driving anything at the time?

Quote: Originally posted by EightBall on 15 July 2004

but wasnt that old boy given a driving ban and a fine recently for alerting motorists to a speed trap even though he wasnt actually driving anything at the time?

Yes that correct, thats what worries me...

Simon.

my mate has one on his evo 6, you wouldnt know he had it fitted, a hole has been cut out where the L is on his number plate, and its been fitted behind it.

Clio 1.4, SV650S

say you come past in a TVR and (after working fine for the last 4 hours), their laser gun suddenly has an error, theyll figure out its your sporty car jamming their signal and not the old lady in the nissan bluebird and pull you anyway!

not related but i heard that a police speed guns show up on fighter jets threat warning missile sensor things.

Fiesta TDCI

There has only been one case (in Wales I believe) of someone getting done for this, what happened to him I have no idea (hardly crime of the century!)

I dont think its correct that some laser guns will warn that they are being jammed but I may be wrong. Also there are a lot of reports that the LRC-100 can be used as a garage door opener, I have been told by a dealer that this is a myth! Unlucky as I have an electric garage door and this could have been the ideal excuse.

As for taking them out I dont think that this would be a 5 mnute job, as the positioning/leveling of the jammer is critical so Its not something that you would want to do unless you really had to, if you have the B2 or Road Angel you can link the jammer up to them, this will also act as the LED and speaker and will provide power to the jammer.

My argument would be that they are openly sold at numerous outlets with no reference to them being illegal, that said even if you did jam their signal do you honestly think that they could be arsed with pursuing it? Finally it only jams for 5 seconds, bearing in mind the distance involved they will get another reading from your car, by which time you should have slowed down enough to be within the speed limit........ Im getting one as soon as I can negotiate the best deal!

Alfa Mito 155TB

I understand Target are bringing out an LRC400 in the next 9 weeks which comes with a Laser receiver module which you can hook up to a garage door or outside lights...

When this comes out, I for one will be buying one as it is a legitimate reason to own one on your car and will do away with the perjury/obstruction of police laws. :)