ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Law on fogs?

I was being followed up the M40 by a white BMW with fogs and high beams on the entire time (and i was in the slow lane before anyone asks), so I slowed down to force him past, then chased him down with my 100W rally bulbs and Xenon Auxiliary rally lights on for a bit... RIP retinas.
Lol

Last edited:
I slowed down to force him past, then chased him down with my 100W rally bulbs and Xenon Auxiliary rally lights on for a bit... RIP retinas.
This is why you read of people getting shot/rammed of the road/having an accident in the news.

182 ff
The police will pull you over alllllll the time, they'll fine you in the end regardless of bulbs..

They'll then question the legality of your mot and tell you to change them back after another mot or some shizzle..

They'll troll you.
i had a new bmw,at night on dark roads,i put mine on to see where i was going.. the head lights where rubbish..when i saw a car ahead turn them off.. one time at 2 am,on a country road,i got pulled up and fined.. ha..police where hiding in a layby..think it was £60 but no points.. with the 182, they have good headlights,no need to put them on, unless there is fog..

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Ive never used fog lights and thought 'ah thats where im going'. Good excuse if you did get pulled though, not.
Be cheaper to invest in decent headlight bulbs

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
Some cars look better with fogs acting as the DRL's. I don't mind it when it suits the car but when it doesnt its annoying and when the fogs are stupidly bright its annoying.
Those annoying people where they put HID's in there fogs and in there headlights when they don't have projectors.
My dynamique's fogs barely light up there own housing so I dont see a problem if there turned on whether its foggy or not.
One car that has eye burning DRL's is the nissan juke I mean wtf is with them 3 pairs of DRL's on the front!

AB 182 FF
This has gone too far... I was driving to work, in the fog, last week and someone flashed their fog lights at me as if I shouldn't drive with them on - it was foggy! He's the fog light wanker, not me.

182 ff
Nothing illegal about it at all.
You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rules 226), as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights - you MUST switch them off when visibility improves

Law RVLR regs 28,27 & 30
Front fog lamp
(a)Used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to other persons using the road.

(b)Used so as to be lit at any time other than in conditions of seriously reduced visibility.

(c)Used so as to be lit when a vehicle is parked.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
You could change the bulb to a 5/10w that would be classed as a side/aux light.

As for 'Guidance' on use of foglights - 'fog' is irrelevant, its visibility that needs to be seriously reduced, this could be fog, mist, spray, smoke.
Sadly the highwaycode actually guides people to use them incorrectly! It states they should be used WITH headlights, when by design they are only any use when your headlights light up the fog more than the road etc. The fog lights disperse light over a lower and shorter distance to light up what is closer to you, therefore headlights and fogs together are pointless.
The 'LAW' gives better guidance, its states you must use headlights when dark and/or when visibility is reuced, UNLESS you have fog lights. Denoting that you can drive without headlights on when you are using fogs (when visi is reduced).
Never knew this.

I have been driving 16 years and I think I had my fogs on 3 times, the other night someone behind me must of fitted a hid kit to there fogs I could of drove with lights off his car was so bright

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
If the bulbs are only 5/10watt (ie sides) then you wont have fogs on.
How do you turn the 5/10 watt side light bulbs on ? With the fog light switch ?
If you fail an MOT for a defective bulb, they dont say your lower side light, they say fog lights.
If a cop pulled you over for driving around with your lower sidelights on do you think hes going to buy that your 5/10 watt bulbs are to dim to be fog lights so you shouldnt be fined ?

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rules 226), as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights - you MUST switch them off when visibility improves

Law RVLR regs 28,27 & 30
Front fog lamp
(a)Used so as to cause undue dazzle or discomfort to other persons using the road.

(b)Used so as to be lit at any time other than in conditions of seriously reduced visibility.

(c)Used so as to be lit when a vehicle is parked.

Yes thats the law for fog lights, this discussion is about replacing/modifying the lens that contain standard fog bulbs so they are no longer fog lights.

How do you turn the 5/10 watt side light bulbs on ? With the fog light switch ?
If you fail an MOT for a defective bulb, they dont say your lower side light, they say fog lights.
If a cop pulled you over for driving around with your lower sidelights on do you think hes going to buy that your 5/10 watt bulbs are to dim to be fog lights so you shouldnt be fined ?

I dont turn them on at all, its not me that is querying or suggesting this. If an officer was stupid enough to confuse what would be very a dim side light bulb with a fog (which are circa 50w) then it would be up to the owner if he wanted to argue in court. But it would be very easy to prove via a letter from a mechanic certifying they are 5w bulbs. The switch marking is irrelevant. There is no law governing where you can or cant have side lights, and front fogs arent in the mot.

Renault Clio 172
Why does everyone get so wound up with people using their front fogs?? There not that bright and at a low level, i've never been "dazzled" by an oncoming driver with them switched on... rudeboys in saxos with misaligned hid's are much worse or even range rovers etc if your in a car with a low driving position especially

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Yes thats the law for fog lights, this discussion is about replacing/modifying the lens that contain standard fog bulbs so they are no longer fog lights.

I dont turn them on at all, its not me that is querying or suggesting this. If an officer was stupid enough to confuse what would be very a dim side light bulb with a fog (which are circa 50w) then it would be up to the owner if he wanted to argue in court. But it would be very easy to prove via a letter from a mechanic certifying they are 5w bulbs. The switch marking is irrelevant. There is no law governing where you can or cant have side lights, and front fogs arent in the mot.

Front fogs are in an MOT if there present I thought?

If i put an orange bulb in my reverse lights does that turn them into indicators?

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
Front fogs are in an MOT if there present I thought?
Nope, not mentioned at all.
If i put an orange bulb in my reverse lights does that turn them into indicators?
Providing meets all the requirements that an indicator should do.

If using your point of view, if I replace my headlight bulbs with 5w sidelights are they still headlights?
Quite obviously they wouldn't be. Especially as most cars sidelights are in with the headlights anyway.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Why does everyone get so wound up with people using their front fogs?? There not that bright and at a low level, i've never been "dazzled" by an oncoming driver with them switched on... rudeboys in saxos with misaligned hid's are much worse or even range rovers etc if your in a car with a low driving position especially

No idea, in the grand scheme of things, it's such a minor annoyance.

But fogs and wrong lane w*****s are my biggest motoring pet peeves. They properly boil my piss.

182 ff
vespa .jpg

seems a lot of messing,for 2 little extra lights,that wont do much anyway.. just buy a mini cooper s,put loads of lights on the front.. or buy a vespa do the same thing.. if you have to have a lot of lights, take the fog lights out,and place 2 little candles in there.. when you want them on,stop and light them.. or drive holding a torch..

Last edited:

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Not as bad as those lights that look like they keep changing colour. Blue then red... Always seem to be right up my arse aswell. Nob heads.