ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Law on MOT

182 Full of Fat
Car has currently no MOT (expired 3 days ago), needs a few jobs doing to pass. Is there anyway to still be driving it legally on the road (i.e pre-booked appointment at garage etc...).

Need to bring home to sort then take back, don't fancy getting it trailered.

Thanks

Black RS200
As far as im aware if you get caught on the road with it you will have it took off you. You can only drive it to an MOT centre on the day it is PRE booked in for its MOT.

Lionel Richie
you can risk it, i've done it before both accidently and deliberatly (shoot me) if ANPR gets you hello fine/possible ceasure, depends if the car is a shed/what mood the copper is in etc, i'm on trade though so doesn't really matter anyway LOL

FiestaST(ex 172 Cup)
its not crime of the century

No MOT = No Insurance

If you kill someone in an accident... well I don't know what will happen but you'll be in prison I should think.

As said the only time you can drive it is when you are travelling to a pre booked MOT.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
shed loads of ppl drive around with no mot without realising it anyway, just be aware of the risks and dont moan if u get caught

BMW M Lite
its not crime of the century

"The penalty for driving a vehicle on the road with an expired MOT certificate is a fixed penalty notice from the police, currently £60, or a court fine up to a maximum of a £1,000."

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/DG_4022108

"Police can seize vehicles if drivers don’t have an appropriate licence or insurance."

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/police/powers/road-traffic/

Basically if you do drive it, you do so at your own risk!

dci1.5 look RS
No MOT = No Insurance

If you kill someone in an accident... well I don't know what will happen but you'll be in prison I should think.

As said the only time you can drive it is when you are travelling to a pre booked MOT.

you mean if i want to kill somebody and i have the MOT=insurance i won't be in prision?? cool man! :cool:

M2 Competition
No MOT = No Insurance

No mot = no mot, it doesnt automatically invalidate your insurance. Most likely situation is that it would reduce insurance to 3rd party, but that would be a matter bewteen yourselves and the insurance company, wouldnt put you in trouble with the law for insurance offences.

From matty's post you can seize vehicles under Section 165 if no insurance/ valid license etc, but not no mot. Unless you were going down routes of unroadworthiness/ restricting use until roadworthy etc.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I got stopped with no MOT in our Focus - thought it was because my rear numberplate was starting to discolour and my jaw hit the floor when he told me I had no ticket.

He commented on the four brand new Dunlops it was wearing and my youngest who was fast asleep in the back, gave me a fixed penalty and let me on my way.

Would never do it intentionally though!

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
went a month accidentally with no MOT. Lucky as I drive on the motorway everyday and never really came across any traffic police, just purely by chance.

182 Full of Fat
went a month accidentally with no MOT. Lucky as I drive on the motorway everyday and never really came across any traffic police, just purely by chance.

I would of been in the same boat if I didn't randomly check my old MOT certificate, was certain it wasn't until next month!
There should be some kind of reminder like there is with Tax.

I got it trailered back (for free :cool:)in the end to save the risk, been told I can drive back though tomorrow because it's booked in for the MOT.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I got stopped with no MOT in our Focus - thought it was because my rear numberplate was starting to discolour and my jaw hit the floor when he told me I had no ticket.

He commented on the four brand new Dunlops it was wearing and my youngest who was fast asleep in the back, gave me a fixed penalty and let me on my way.

Would never do it intentionally though!

What a tosser, giving you a fine when you had brand new tyres on :S You obviously look after it, a quick chat and him to tell you to sort it immediately and to prove it at the station would of been fair.

182 FF
Insurers will pay where there is no MOT - you are still insured with no MOT.

But the car will be valued as it is ie a car with no MOT if it's a write off.

Bumder With A Buffer
No mot = no mot, it doesnt automatically invalidate your insurance. Most likely situation is that it would reduce insurance to 3rd party, but that would be a matter bewteen yourselves and the insurance company, wouldnt put you in trouble with the law for insurance offences.

From matty's post you can seize vehicles under Section 165 if no insurance/ valid license etc, but not no mot. Unless you were going down routes of unroadworthiness/ restricting use until roadworthy etc.

Indeed. It varies between insurance companies. I like how many experts ther are out there! ;)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
What a tosser, giving you a fine when you had brand new tyres on :S You obviously look after it, a quick chat and him to tell you to sort it immediately and to prove it at the station would of been fair.

I think I did all right getting just the fixed penalty. He was alright and dealt with the whole thing in under 5 minutes as he could see Emily was fast asleep. Served me right for poor housekeeping.

Could have been a lot worse.