ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lcd Tv for £800

1.2 16v
Parents are looking for a new 1080p 37" - 42" lcd for around £800, any ideas on what to go for? Thanks

Mito Sportiva 135
I would go for a Sony Bravia if you can find one for that money mate, absolutely fantastic picture and colours.

Samsung are quite good though otherwise for LCDs.

The make does play a big difference though, you could buy a 50" TV made by some random brand, but I would rather go for a decent brand as you do get what you pay for in this technology.

For £800 you should be able to get the old Sony 40" LCD which we have in our lounge which is fantastic, plenty of ports in the back, great picture and clarity and the ubiquitous myriad of Sony option menu so you can change pretty much anything!

I would say if you have Sky or Virgin and you haven't already then an HD box is essential to make the most out of it especially going forward. The older NTL boxes Virgin still use made the picture look really washed out even on non HD channels before we upgraded.

Scirocco GT 210
I've got a Panasonic TX37LZD70 (37" 1080p LCD) and I think it's great. It handles SD very well too.

Only had it a week though so can't comment on how it'll stand the test of time. lol

RS Meg 175
just told the parents to get the newer toshiba. lovely tv got it from currys. 40" Toshiba, 1080p in built Onkyo speakers and slim design. its the titties on SD and HD :)

Audi TT 225
Go to http://www.telebid.com/auction/panasonic-viera-42-full-hd-ready-plasma-/53007.html and buy £400 worth of bids and use BidButler. Chances are you will win. Who knows?

Don't do it. Fixed Price auction so doesn't matter how high the bid price goes as you will only pay £100. This means you will get loads of people doing the above and chances are you have just thrown away £400.

This sites a con unless you get unbelievably lucky and noone in the world is watching as you sneak a bid in..

People may correct me on this but I was told that Sony's and Samsungs share more or less the same internals, just worse build quality on the latter.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
People may correct me on this but I was told that Sony's and Samsungs share more or less the same internals, just worse build quality on the latter.

in addition to that comment, i was told that samsung are the biggest manufacturer of lcd screens (not the tv as a package), and that a lot of other manufacturers actually buy the screens off them. is that crap of what?

Mito Sportiva 135

I was told this by someone on Richer Sounds, but even if they share 90% of the components, then the 10% difference shows, the picture on the Bravias is instantly better than the Samsung competitor. Not aaying Samsung is bad but to me the Bravias have the best colours going, although thats for a high-street brand, sure there are even better top-end sets if you look around.

Octy VRS

in addition to that comment, i was told that samsung are the biggest manufacturer of lcd screens (not the tv as a package), and that a lot of other manufacturers actually buy the screens off them. is that crap of what?

They use the same panels but pretty much everything else is different.

S-LCD make all the panels, a joint venture between Sony and Samsung.