ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

LCD TVs does this look any good?

Yaris Hybrid
I'd still get the Samsung, I bought one after my brother got his and I was able to check it out. Weird thing is, we have identical TV's yet mine is slightly newer and I think they must have changed the firmware as my low def picture is noticeably softened compared to his and therefore looks better.

The over sharp picture on his though is only a problem when watching low def TV via SCART. The HD quality is top notch. Most reviews gave it 5/5 for high def and 3/5 for standard def.

If you are buying an LCD for the low def quality then don't buy an LCD full stop. Wait until HD TV appears and get a model that will blow away anything currently on the market but for less money. The longer you wait the more prices come down and the better the displays get.

I only got mine in time for XBox 360, otherwise I would be sticking with my CRT which was easily superior for standard def broadcasts.

Last edited:
toypop what model samsung are you using? im well happy with the pic when mine is scaled on normal tv broadcasts. but its not samsung it's LG. lcd's are fine as long as its scaler is a quality one and not some 3rd party budget version. samsung have started using the same system as LG have been using for the last few years. its the faroudja dcdi so they have same pic quality as meny others who also use this system. couldnt tell ya what the toshiba uses just do a google search and see what the reviews are like.

Toypop - Agree with all you say, would be interesting to find out if there was indeed a software update which changed the picture quality. I must admit its really the 360 which is pushing me into getting an LCD sooner rather than later and with Sky HD coming next year its really getting all set for that.

Going to have a proper look round when I get home in two weeks, would never buy a TV without demo'ing it first so time to dig out the DVDs which will show up all the flaws.

There was a 60" SOny running a HD demo over here in one of the shops and I have to say it was rather sexual :D

One with a few more
To know if its really any good - you need to find a spec to tell you a response time.

For any quality - you really need 16rms or less.

I have a 26" Sharpe Aquos with repsonse time of 12ms. Its the best set out there for the price (about 750, it depends, as i got mine for 640)
The Samsungs have a similarly spec'd range in the same price bracket but are well known for poor customer service and their screens can turn out way too bright

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Lee said:
They'll cost as much as large Plasma screens did when they first came out.

Actually they wont, a very good friend of mine works for canon.
They print the arrays using a inkjet printer so cost is low.
Infact theres no real expensive part to it, as the CRT based tech has been around for years.

Imagine a thin crt! :approve:

Yaris Hybrid
raf182 said:
Toypop - Agree with all you say, would be interesting to find out if there was indeed a software update which changed the picture quality. I must admit its really the 360 which is pushing me into getting an LCD sooner rather than later and with Sky HD coming next year its really getting all set for that.

Going to have a proper look round when I get home in two weeks, would never buy a TV without demo'ing it first so time to dig out the DVDs which will show up all the flaws.

There was a 60" SOny running a HD demo over here in one of the shops and I have to say it was rather sexual :D

To be honest I didn't really want my Samsung and had no idea I would buy one until my bro got his a few weeks before. I was planning to spend around £2k on a TV but I knew if I got an expensive one now I'd only use the high def for 360 and for everything else it would be wasted. I also knew if I saved my £2000 for 2 or 3 years until Telewest give me any kind of HD service I would get a million times better unit.

So I didn't think I would be getting an LCD although I knew I wanted one of the Xbox. I figured a £600 unit would be rubbish and not worth the effort. Once I saw my bro's though I was quite impressed so I actually bought this TV after thoroughly testing it and seeing it deliver the goods as opposed to just reading reviews. I got the Samsung because it was good and only £600 and figured it would keep me going on 360 for a couple of years until I can justify upgrading to something really good.

I think the Samsung was the best for money, there are better TV's for more money but they are a waste of time as its not worth spending that on something that you will regret buying a couple of years down the line having only ever used it to its full potential on your console. At the moment the development of these things is so rapid with improvements coming so quickly that its worth waiting until the technology has matured.

I have been really impressed with my Samsung though. Its great for my PC and PC games and from a metre away the low def TV stuff is pretty much indistinguishable from my old CRT.

1.8 Civic EX
haha I bout that 32" Lcd TV from Woolworths for £600, made by that well know TV company Crown lol. does the job for me. I get cr*p reception in my bedroom anyway so don't really know what the pic quality is like although watching DVDs on it via my PS2 it's pretty damn good.