ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

LED confusion...

2001 Clio 1.2 Dynamique
so many different opinions on these LED sidelights....which ones should i get??

I Understand these fail due to heat from main beam
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/u501fw-w....html?osCsid=2983566192eff40a6f3ac487c232f609

And the site says these ones can fail...
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/u501whp-....html?osCsid=2983566192eff40a6f3ac487c232f609

and these ones seem to look okay...can someone give me some advice....
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/u501whp2....html?osCsid=2983566192eff40a6f3ac487c232f609

what shall i order? pics wud b appreciated

the first ones... they're perfect.

if they fail, you can buy 6 more for the same price as 1 of the bottom ones... enough said.

i have the top ones and am more than happy with them.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I have the top ones as well . Had em on for about 6 weeks now , still going strong touch wood ;)

mini cooper (RIP 172)
ive just put the top ones in:D

look like a good match with the headlights

i'll wait til its dark and post pics if u want?

2001 Clio 1.2 Dynamique
cheers for the replies....i would get the top ones and they are dirt cheap i guess?

has anyone got them fitted with the standard halogen headlamps as i dont have the xenon units.... do the xenons or the halogens burn hotter??

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I went through 4 of their plastic single ones in a total of an hour of using full beam. It's because they're so close to the main beam bulb - if you don't use it, they should be OK.

I got a pair of the bottom ones because it was a pain in the ass changing them for glass ones till new ones were delivered. Well, that and the fact they failed so fast. Bottom metal ones seem well up to the task of using full beam. They've lasted 6 months with regular use of it.

Mysteriously, reviews mentioning melting disappear very quickly.

mini cooper (RIP 172)
just some pics for you! but i do have xenons, but one pic has them off
edit- the top ones

Attachments

• DSC00039.JPG
    DSC00039.JPG
    191.4 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC00042.JPG
    DSC00042.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC00041.JPG
    DSC00041.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC00040.JPG
    DSC00040.JPG
    276.2 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC00043.JPG
    DSC00043.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 31
  mini cooper (RIP 172)
update- first time i had my main beames on (only for 5-10 mins) one of the top ones stoped working! dont look melted but still dont work:(

B

Brown.

i have the top ones, but got them off ebay, about £2.50..... agreed at that price just buy more

It's not so much the price, it's the fact that the design of the Clio headlamp makes them fail so fast if you use full beam.

If you buy 12, you'll be able to ruin them all in a week if you use full beam for any significant time, as Rob's172 has just found.

They'd be fine if you never use full beam, but if you do, single plastic LEDs will probably need to be replaced after minutes, not hundreds or thousands of hours. And the second or third time you do that you start to see why the metal ones are a good thing.

update- first time i had my main beames on (only for 5-10 mins) one of the top ones stoped working! dont look melted but still dont work:(

Yeah they look just the same, it's not that they melt to drips of plastic, they just stop working and never come back. I'd used full beam for half an hour to wreck each pair, but from what you say they may have failed even quicker.

mini cooper (RIP 172)
another update- my lights are now working again:S

had them out the day after stoped working, put them bk in and still nothing:(

but last night pulled up on my drive right next to the gf's car and could see that both side lights are working! don't know why stared to work again, but i'm happy:D

I had the same problem as GR - they fail very quickly due to heat, and they flicker before they die meaning they draw attention to you, not ideal if the old bill are around...

Also my negative review seemed to disappear off the ultraled's website as well... :rolleyes:

I went for PIAA normal sidelight bulbs in the end - lasted ages and still pretty bright so can't really complain.

I may try those metal LED ones if I'm feeling flush...