ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

LED Cubes - Want big time

Bumder With A Buffer
soldering is your day job or building led cubes?

Soldering is technically my day job I ment :eek:

What do you make?

Test Access systems for the Telecom Industry. I started out here building all the bits up for them as they were struggling with nearly every unit not working. Now progressed into doing more CAD work.

Mainly for the copper side at the minute. Also Testheads which test the phone line from exchange to check for faults.

Currently working on an Optical TDR (Time domain Reflectometry) which is rather cool :)

Few bits that I think I can get away with taking a photo of and not getting a slapped wrist ...

RS485-RS232 converter

IMG_0265.jpg

Fault card for Testhead (basically switching in different value resistors, capacitors on each leg and across the loop)

IMG_0266.jpg

Artificial Line Card for Testhead. Simulates 1Km to 7Km lines that are used over in France.

IMG_0267.jpg

Bumder With A Buffer
do you design and build circuits or just solder stuff?

I design and hand build stuff yes.

Although my design theory is not very good. I can be given a schematic and make a PCB in CAD. Its just the theory I struggle on.

A lot of my designs are taking existing products and adding ports, relays, connectors etc on so the bulk work of the design is already there and I just modify it to my needs.

Im attempting to code at the minute which is fun.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
fancy another project?

taking two existing designs and modding them / joining them?

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Cool. Loving the 20 million relays. We designed a piece of test kit for tetra radios, that was full of relays too including some very expensive RF ones.

In the last year we've designed two medical instruments for another company (same motherboard, interchangeable "personality" board) and been doing a lot of stuff with radar for vehicle detection - lots of digital signal processing theory.

If I remember I'll take some pics tomorrow, our boards are rammed as tightly as possible with surface mount components.

Looks like a TI micro (or possibly luminary squinting at the blurry image) on your RS485 adaptor?

Bumder With A Buffer
PIC18F8722..yeah photo was taken on my 3g Ifail with no focus :eek:

Basically all our kit has relays in we use OMRON and NEC and as far as I am aware we are one of the highest users in Europe. Definitely in the UK, we struggled with the Japan Tsunami to get the relays to meet a massive BT order. We use over 5 million Relays a year or something?? I know we have 1 million sitting in stock!! Mental really.

If I was able to I would take a piccy of the Testhead but I think I would get fired for that...its a lovely piece of kit using..shame we lost out on a huge contract for it in France :(

Bloody French!

Edit, on a side note you said RF relays?? Im experimenting with some at the minute with this optical TDR, they are very expensive. So is the Lasers we are using, running at 1650nm iirc too which is the "test" wavelength some idiots specified whilst sitting at a table with no experience of how TDR works. Idiots! Makes TDR at that level VERY VERY difficult.

Last edited:

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Urgh...Microchip.... ;) We don't use anything that doesn't have an ARM core in it, the development tools are so much better. We used a PIC on a usb device for a customer a few years back and every single C compiler I tried I managed to get to generate incorrect code, I ended up having to put brackets around everything to get it to order stuff correctly, even with Microchips own mplab compiler. Don't get me started about their development environment either....

We didn't have any problems with japan, most of our components are either chinese, malaysian or american.

If you want the classic definition of a group of idiots sitting around a table defining standards, you want to try implementing USB....

Bumder With A Buffer
The Microchip compiler is s**t correct! We use the IAR compiler for it which is by far the best..the inbuilt one in microchips IDE stuff is crap..costs a small fortune to get licences for IAR too.

Its all about "cost" and pics are cheap which keeps costs down for BT and France Telecom :(

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Here's our motherboard for the medical instruments, has all manner of interfaces (usb device, usb host, rs232, can, ethernet) in addition to all the internal gubbins.

photo-1.jpg

We've got various licenses for keil and IAR compilers for various processors that we've used in the past. We use crossworks now, which is the best embedded IDE I've ever used by a country mile, the ARM variant uses the code sourcery port of the gnu compiler, it's absolutely rock solid, I've never seen the compiler do anything remotely weird. Even better is that it doesn't make use of gdb as the debugger backend, they wrote their own and consequently it works about a million times better - oh and it works with our j-link devices.