ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

leda suspention yes or no

clio sport 182
ive got a 182 with cup pack and i really love the hadling think it handles better than my old 5 and that had coilovers but if i got a set of ledas would it handle better than the 182 set up also want it abit lower they are only up the road from me so they could set it all up as i want it done properly cheers for any help john

clio sport 182
have you got ledas id like mine to sit as low as the car in your pic i take it its yours so they are alot better than the cup set up whats the ride like dont want it to be much harder than it is now

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
no, i have h&r's so cant comment really, but apparently the ledas are better than them! (and they are good) The ledas as far as i know are adjustable for height, and rebound, so i think you will be fine! I would go and have a chat with then and see what the say?

it will be bit firmer than the stock set up though, as the more you lowe it, the stiffer (way hay) it gets

Clio v6
gt_gaz said:
The ledas as far as i know are adjustable for height, and rebound, so i think you will be fine! I would go and have a chat with then and see what the say?

it will be bit firmer than the stock set up though, as the more you lowe it, the stiffer (way hay) it gets

Yes and happy with mine. :)

Clio 182
Steve (sm_wrc) has Ledas on his 182 and I've had a very long ride in it and it was lovely! Mine handles like a pig in comparison. His is low, looks and feels good :approve:

avstar1

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
Hi John, I was looking at getting some leda's soon as well. I went out in one and felt a world apart from standard. With the leda's you can set the damping as desired. The car I went in was baised towards softer damping and felt real smooth. I went on the same road with my car and it was bump steering all over the place.

Maybe worth setting up a group buy maybe???

clio sport 182
i dont mind a group buy but id want them to set them up for me as they are up the road i think im sold on them now

avstar1

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
Sounds good John, I've also got a 182 cupped so would be interested in the quote you get back from leda including fitting. Please pm me the price you get quoted. :)

Got them on my cup packed 182. IMO far better then the standard setup. Ive used them on the road for about 10 months with no problems.

Cost approx £950 + fitting + setup come to approx £1250. I got them setup at Northampton motorsport I would recommend 225lb front and 300lb rear springs with -1.5deg camber for road use.

Dont get them if you want to 'deck' it the suspension needs to have room to move in order to work;)

Heres a pic of mine which was setup professionally so I assume is the right height.

fact2.jpg

:cool: That's what I wont been in SM_WRC car with them on and it is a lot better then the cup set up I would like to now the price as well if it right I may be up for a group buy.

Engles Mummy
MarkM said:
Got them on my cup packed 182. IMO far better then the standard setup. Ive used them on the road for about 10 months with no problems.

Cost approx £950 + fitting + setup come to approx £1250. I got them setup at Northampton motorsport I would recommend 225lb front and 300lb rear springs with -1.5deg camber for road use.

Dont get them if you want to 'deck' it the suspension needs to have room to move in order to work;)

Heres a pic of mine which was setup professionally so I assume is the right height.

fact2.jpg

Far to high IMO! lol

-90mm or dont bother.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I once had Leda’s on one of my cars a few years back. But never again..! Front driver’s side spring snapped, and you don't won’t that to happen at speed I can tell you.

But the whole idea of upgrading your car is to increase corner speeds. So from then on BILSTEIN all the way.

Only my opinion mind.

Subway said:
Far to high IMO! lol

-90mm or dont bother.

I'll mention it to the guy who set it up. Maybe he could use your experience to reduce the lap times on the race cars he sets up.;)

Engles Mummy
MarkM, Ouch! low blow lol

I think this time you maybe riiii...wrong!

Clio-Cup_Torben-Steen-Kuehnel_01.jpg

Low & Stiff - They go round corners pretty quickly lol Oh just like mine!

Pretty much evey racing car is slammed, you try find one which is riding high my good man.

Oh and tell your "set up guy" that hes just been subway'd!

smooth race track is not the same as british b road though is it.

Cup car has no arch liners rear coilovers no doubt modifications to the position of bump stops and does not need suspension movement to deal with bumpy roads.

You cant compare a road car to a race car.

Engles Mummy
MarkM said:
I'll mention it to the guy who set it up. Maybe he could use your experience to reduce the lap times on the race cars he sets up.;)

You brought racing cars in to this.

Subway said:
You brought racing cars in to this.

We all love race cars though dont we?

Who set your car up then and did you go for cup car camber to match your cup car ride height? What are you running about -2.5deg;)

M2 Competition
The lower the coilovers are set, the less travel the spring and damper have to work in, may as well ride with no suspension, wheels bolted straight to the car.

Suspension's there for a reason!

Engles Mummy
Wait, I'm not on trial here.

MarkM - "We all love race cars though don’t we?" Irrelevant Comment.

My car is low, but not as low as a cup; as I wish to at least get out of my driveway :) As for camber, I'm at 0.5 at the moment: o & my suspension were set up by a fat grease monkey.

But again asking about my car isn't relevant, as my car isn't a racing car. But I would still happily show you and your ledas up any day of the weak my friend.

Peperami - Thank you for the "suspension for dummies" quote.

Apologies if you felt like you were on trial. I thought it was in good humour.

I would go for more camber then that personally and would recommend Northampton Motorsport if you are in the midlands.

As to your challenge I dont really give a s**t if you could:)

Subway said:
Wait, I'm not on trial here.

MarkM - "We all love race cars though don’t we?" Irrelevant Comment.

My car is low, but not as low as a cup; as I wish to at least get out of my driveway :) As for camber, I'm at 0.5 at the moment: o & my suspension were set up by a fat grease monkey.

But again asking about my car isn't relevant, as my car isn't a racing car. But I would still happily show you and your ledas up any day of the weak my friend.

Peperami - Thank you for the "suspension for dummies" quote.

Turbos.
Leda's seem pretty good, but the dampers are a good spec so you'd expect so. Ultimately Blistein or Ohlins R&D department is probably bigger than Leda's whole company, so not quite the be all and end all. Personally i am eyeing up some Ohlins 3 ways.

cliobuyer said:
Leda's seem pretty good, but the dampers are a good spec so you'd expect so. Ultimately Blistein or Ohlins R&D department is probably bigger than Leda's whole company, so not quite the be all and end all. Personally i am eyeing up some Ohlins 3 ways.

The problem, when I bought mine, was you either bought GAZ, Leda or bilstein as that was all that was available for a cup packed 182. GAZ are s**t bilstein were £1500 and track orientated.

There was a group buy for the ledas and they were being sold at a much more reasonable, but still expensive, price. I had no choice basically. I would go for H&Rs now based on this websites opinion for cost vs performance.

Turbos.
I wouldn't get H&Rs, for me having no adjustment on a set of suspension is a bit pointless unless you are a pure road user...so you probably made the right choice.

FredYozzasport said:
but then again rob, unless you're a racing driver you don't need adjusable damping

I have tweeked the damping to how I want the car to feel. Not saying that it is perfect but it suits me.

PS I am not a racing driver.

Engles Mummy
FredYozzasport said:
but then again rob, unless you're a racing driver you don't need adjusable damping

I'm not a racing driver, yet I need it.

If I'm planning on going for a sprint round my town/country side I want my car set up hard. If I'm planning on going out with a young man I want the suspension soft.

and I'm sure many people would prefer ADJ damping to fixed.

Adam

Quite amusing how some people make assumptions/sweeping statements having not driven some (or in alot of cases any) of kits they're talking about.

I've had 4 different suspension set ups on my 182 so far (including OE) and I'm now finally happy with it. I previously had H&R's on my 172 and after a few different kits (prior to H&R releasing one for a cupped 182) I'm back on them again on the 182.

People seem to assume that the Leda's will be best because they are a dearer option. Although I'm not disputing this as i've never driven a car with them fitted. I'd be interested to know whether those saying it have driven a car with them on or a car fitted with the other kits mentioned for that matter.

It's also worth mentioning (cost aside) whats right for one person might be unsuitable for another. Also set up plays a huge part and you can have the most expensive kit going but if it's fitted and set up by a monkey chances are it'll drive like s**t.

Clio v6
Loony said:
Also set up plays a huge part and you can have the most expensive kit going but if it's fitted and set up by a monkey chances are it'll drive like sh*t.

This is getting a bit spooky now Loony. That's twice I've fully agreed with you in four years. :)

Audi A6 (S3 on order)
The only person I know who has driven on H&R, Billstein and LEDA is BenR.

He opinion was that the LEDA kit gives the best performance.

Loony said:
Quite amusing how some people make assumptions/sweeping statements having not driven some (or in alot of cases any) of kits they're talking about.

I've had 4 different suspension set ups on my 182 so far (including OE) and I'm now finally happy with it. I previously had H&R's on my 172 and after a few different kits (prior to H&R releasing one for a cupped 182) I'm back on them again on the 182.

People seem to assume that the Leda's will be best because they are a dearer option. Although I'm not disputing this as i've never driven a car with them fitted. I'd be interested to know whether those saying it have driven a car with them on or a car fitted with the other kits mentioned for that matter.

It's also worth mentioning (cost aside) whats right for one person might be unsuitable for another. Also set up plays a huge part and you can have the most expensive kit going but if it's fitted and set up by a monkey chances are it'll drive like sh*t.