ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Leeds Folk... Gearbox issues.

182 FF (Black Gold)
Hi, I have what seems to be a gearbox problem. Basically my gearbox is jammed in 2nd, i have been told i can fix it myself but i dont have the knowledge to do so, if anybody with mechanical experiance in the Leeds area is willing to take a look, i would really appriciate it, obviously money and beer tokens will be waiting :cool: It has done this before, I took it to the garage be fixed, when i got it back it wouldnt go into 3rd properly and eventually jammed in 2nd, i tried to have a look myself but im clueless ha! it seems to have a weak 3rd :(

Thank you :)

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Has the selector rod been off or have you whacked it on a hump etc?

First thing to try is to jack the car up, loosen the 13mm bolt under the gearbox on the selector stick, move it around a notch then re tighten, keep doing this until/if you get the gears back.

If not it's fucked and will need a rebuild most probs.

182 FF (Black Gold)
Hi mate, the box has been rebuilt around christmas time, the reverse, 1st selectors and folks were replaced. When I got it back trying to engage 3rd has been a pita! It happend last week and I thought the box had gone again but I believe the 3rd and something or another selectors are weak. The guy charged me a fortune for labour when he described it to be an easy job. I will try what you suggested tomorrow :)

Thanks, I hope its not fucked again! Cost me a lot has this butter gearbox!!! :(

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Hmmm well if it's been rebuilt then it should have a warranty anyways!

I'd try the selector adjustment then go from there, it can take a
While to get right but might be a cheap fix!

182 FF (Black Gold)
I cant do it! :( Took the selector rod off messed about hit it a few times and its still not budging! Neatural is second and thats all I get. No other gears engage. What to do?? :(

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
I cant do it! :( Took the selector rod off messed about hit it a few times and its still not budging! Neatural is second and thats all I get. No other gears engage. What to do?? :(

It needs to go back to whoever fitted/repaired the box

182 FF (Black Gold)
It needs to go back to whoever fitted/repaired the box

Yep it looks like it. Its going to Brears in Leeds, looks like a new syncromesh. I will probally have to pay and be out of pocket again.

Is £200 labour good for an engine out and gearbox job?

How much would a syncromesh be?

Clio 172mk2
try murrys in leeds

Murray R S & Sons
West End Garage, Cross Cliff Rd, Leeds LS6 2DR

0113 278 6266 ‎

182 FF (Black Gold)
Are they any good?? Thing is it went there to be fixed twice so really has to go there to be sorted. The garage I mentioned is meant to be very good too!

172DD Cup
Have u tried changing gear with the linkage disconnected. Just using the small joint under the box?

sent from my android phone using tapatalk

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Yep it looks like it. Its going to Brears in Leeds, looks like a new syncromesh. I will probally have to pay and be out of pocket again.

Is £200 labour good for an engine out and gearbox job?

How much would a syncromesh be?

No warranty with the box?

If the £200 is for putting it back in then sounds fair!

172DD Cup
and that's bearing in mind that to get to the other gears you have to push the joint up into the gearbox (i think for 1st and 2nd) and pull it down out of the gearbox (i think for 5th)?

182 FF (Black Gold)
and that's bearing in mind that to get to the other gears you have to push the joint up into the gearbox (i think for 1st and 2nd) and pull it down out of the gearbox (i think for 5th)?

It seems only to want to select 5th It just need freeing and I have no idea how to do it! :( The garage it went to before did it easy but charged me £105! Any body upto the challenge?? :cool: