ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lightning cables

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I'm after a lightning cable to charge and sync my phone. Don't fancy giving apple £25 for a cable so I've been looking for others.

only problem is I've read something about invalidating phone warranties if you use unauthorised cables, plus iOS 7 may not be compatible with these cheapo cables anyway. With my lock button on its way out and a warranty claim inevitable I don't want them to say tough s**t your stuck with it because you used an unauthorised cable.

so, as cheap as possible, what's available that is minimal risk?

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Invalidating warranty for not using official cables?

I have cables all over the place with working away and what not, and bought some cheapo ones from Amazon. Not had any issues.

They're tied up in bags, drawers Etc and not had one fail yet.

But they were £1.50 a cable, if they break, they break.

320d M Sport
Same. My lock button broke. Replaced with no problem. Ios7 installed also. I only think they'd refuse you if it was a power charge issue which caused your phone to fail.

FF Clio 182
The lightning cable have authorisation chips in them so only official ones work with the iPhone. This was true when they was first released but a lot of third party company's have worked around this where some cheap cable you buy do not work, they only work for charging connected to a 12v wall plug

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Well I need one for the car (sync) and work (just charging)

im worried because I've read that when apple read any fault codes on the phone come replacement for warranty if they see its failed to charge via a unauthorised cable then they refuse to honour the warranty

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Lol, well I'm fucked then, if that's the case.

I have too many cables lying around and in bags and drawers to be paying out £20 odd a go.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
The issue I have, is that I have probably 10 cables in various places due to travelling with work etc, so I'd rather not shell out an additional £135.

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
I'll be in the same predicament when I get my 5 (or 5S or whatever coms out soon). Luckily my girlfriend has the latest iPad so she has one at hers, but I'll need additional ones for work and my car at least, plus one at my mate's house as they've all got the old type which I borrow when I'm round there.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
The issue I have, is that I have probably 10 cables in various places due to travelling with work etc, so I'd rather not shell out an additional £135.

some people sell MFI cables. £10

Last edited:
  FF Clio 182
I charged mine via a cheap eBay special cable and when my sleep button was faulty they checked the phone and swapped it no issue at all