ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

likelihood a gearbox whine will get quieter

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
right, had my gearbox refurbed middle of last year after it developed a hellish whine, did 2 trackdays afterwards while using 75-80 oil and a faint whine has developed again

been told by the guys that refurbed it that 75-80 is no good and i should change to 75-90, he reckons it is prob the 5th gear synchro (common fault)

question is, will changing the oil make such a difference that it will 'cure' the whine?

reason i ask is i need to decide if i should have the box refurbed again before i do more trackdays, or just carry on with the new oil?

part of me is thinking 'stop being a hypochondriac and just use it til it breaks or gets alot louder'

Clio RT
It may make the whine quiter but that won't be because it's cured, you'll have just hidden the noise with the thicker oil :(

Seems odd that the refurb guys are happy that it has a whine so soon after a refurb, however I guess if 5th synchro is a known weakness it'll go for a poop eventually, especially if it's being tracked. I think I'd be tempted to keep giving it stick until the whine gets hella bad again or it goes away entirely....... as the cogs all fall out !

Nic

not bothered about curing it as such, just making it last longer! the car has always got somthing wrong with it, just always a case of making it last a trackday til we can get it back in the garage lol

agency didn't seem overly bothered it had a whine, asked if it was a road car and what i'd been using it for (ie racing or trackdays etc), immediately said i was using wrong oil and to change it. I don't blame them, can you imagine doing warranty work on race cars and track cars, you'd never make any money! lol

burpspeed have had there's refurbed without any problems and there's must get driven hard though!

i might do one trackday with the new oil and see how it goes, i'm assuming jacking it up and running won't do much good as it's not replicating the load conditions?

What was their reasoning for the different oil?

lol just said 75-80 was old hat and haven't used it for years? strange as renault recommend it, safe to say i won't be questioning them though as they have 40+ years experience of rebuilding gearboxes!

182cup & 172 racecar
The oil that should be used in these boxes is.

Part Synthetic 75w/90 GL5.

We have hammered ours to death racing last year and not a whimper from the thing.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
I'll be doing that then next gearbox oil change as I used the recommended 75w/80 only 4 weeks ago :(

maybe i should bite the bullet and get it re-conned again and use the proper oil? what you think Tony? or risk it for a biscuit?

what's the worst than can happen.......no don't answer that! lol

182cup & 172 racecar
maybe i should bite the bullet and get it re-conned again and use the proper oil? what you think Tony? or risk it for a biscuit?

what's the worst than can happen.......no don't answer that! lol
I can't really say,speak to Agency again would be my best advise.
But saying that it would not cost much atm to check 5th,if left,more money.

well when i spoke to agency last time and told them it was whining again he didn't say take it off and send it back to be checked lol so i assumed he was pretty confident that the change in oil would do the trick?

i'll call him again :)

Evo 5 RS
for the record, and I'm not saying this means both are fine, but mine was refurbished over a year ago and does whine a little. It depends how much you're talking tbh, could you hear it if you recorded it? The induction of the engine and car usually drown it out.

I just see the JC5 as a consumable now, it's made of chocolate. I'd change the oil and just go for it until something horrific happens or it worsens