ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lille and Bruges

Went to Lille and Bruges this weekend, thought we would try out one of those Coach Tour things always advertised in the paper (and yes it was full of old people), picked up 10 minutes walk from our house, Eurotunnel crossing, 5hrs in Lille, stay in a nice hotel, 4hrs in Bruges, Eurotunnel back and dropped off 10 minutes walk from home...for £70 each. Faultless weekend, great driver and tour manager, and Bruges was the most jaw droppingly beautiful place I've visited, amazing city.

90% of our time was spent shopping in the Christmas Markets, but I got the camera out when walking from or back to our Coach at each place and grabbed a few shots. I could have spent the whole 4hrs shooting in Bruges, the light was unreal, thankfully it will stick in my memory and truth be told my pics would never have done it justice anyway.

Had the 50mm and 50-150, so the pics are a little tight (could have done with a Sigma 10-20, obviously) but still got what I thought were a few ok ones. First proper use of the Sigma 50-150 since I got it, absolute peach of a lens, so pleased I bought it and should be fantastic in New York next year.

Lille

432910728_x5HAm-L.jpg

432913231_YsMmy-L.jpg

http://chrisharrison.smugmug.com/gallery/6777302_SxG3E

Bruges

432919699_tRTEF-L.jpg

432931228_Beyf8-L.jpg

432934616_gUeUD-L.jpg

432938747_ErEMm-L.jpg

432940295_KKwsm-L.jpg

http://chrisharrison.smugmug.com/gallery/6777515_eCyRh

love the 2nd from each set - looks bloody cold there!

Bit nippy yes. Apparently it's almost never that nice in Bruges (I know 4 people who've been, 7 trips in total, and it's rained every single one of them) so I'm gutted I never got a chance to take some proper photos. Easily the most photogenic place I've been, especially with the weather like it was that morning.

Fiat Panda 100hp
very nice pictures. love the wheel, although it's very complicated. Love the DOF on them!

makes me want to have a d90 instead of a d300.

Tough call, if I was to do it all over again I would still go with a D90 and nice lens (Sigma 50-150 in my case) over a D300. The rugged weather-proof body of the D300 would be nice, but even though I shoot in harsh conditions a lot with motorsport it's still not a deal breaker for me. Picture quality seems near as damnit identical between them, if anything the D90 has the edge (apparently) but I doubt us mortals would notice any difference.

Oddly I wouldn't want to be without the video mode now either, it's good fun and eventually I think I will get some pretty cool stuff out of it.

Renaultsport 220T
Kewl pics Chris.

I went to Bruges on a school trip, when I was 11! Just a few years ago. Was full of lace and chocolate, and not many pretty girls.

Might have to go back, see if it has improved much.
;)

1.2 Dynamique billabong
haha its funny that you post this as i too am off to bruges this weekend lol, some nice pics there buddy

Broken Diesel Megane :(
nice pics. i was in lille a couple of weeks back. very cold!!

the main city centre square between the two train stations has some great looking buildings i thought.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Nice pics as always Mr Askew...!

Please excuse my blissful ignorance, but why take a 50mm and a 50-150mm ? My logic dictates the 50mm will be just extra weight to carry around ! There's a very valid reason I'm sure, but I'll let you enlighten me ...!

:)

Fiat Panda 100hp

Please excuse my blissful ignorance, but why take a 50mm and a 50-150mm ? My logic dictates the 50mm will be just extra weight to carry around ! There's a very valid reason I'm sure, but I'll let you enlighten me ...!

The 50mm isn't really any extra weight, such a small lens, for the times where you don't want to be carrying around a massive lens.

Plus 1.8DOF is sweet.

As above he 50mm is teeny so it doesn't really matter, fits in my pocket easily. Mainly use it for long exposure night shots when I can because the blades create awesome star effects on the lights.

Fiat Panda 100hp
I have made up my mind. getting a D90 + 50mm + 50-150 2.8, now £339! from 1stcameras.com. more or less same setup as you Chris.