ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Limit for automatic ban on motorway

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

I was told by someone at the weekend that this has been dropped to 90 mph from 100 mph.

Is this right???

Yaris Hybrid

I thought the police guidlines stated that 90 was the trigger point where a fixed penalty cannot be issued and you have to go before a magistrate - not neccessarily an automatic ban?

Seems to me that many people doing over 90 but under 100 were given fixed penalties though?

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport

i thought it was general consencious that its 30 over speed limit = ban, what ever the limit whereever.

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

Thats helpful coz i do 90 most of the time on motorway, think i might drop my speed a little from now on.

Is the decision not upto the policeman who catches you? Could you go to court for doing say 85 on the motorway?

dk

911 GTS Cab

i heard that the cut off point for a fixed penalty is actually 96 on the motorway?

172, Tiguan

There is no way they would have you up in court for doing 85. The entire population might as well form an orderly queue outside the court now!

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 01 September 2004

i heard that the cut off point for a fixed penalty is actually 96 on the motorway?
Correct, it works out as a set percentage of the speed limit so that its scalable.

I was told that if youre doing under a ton these days they wont stop you.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

i got caught for an average of 96 on the motorway and got 3 points.

Over 100 is a court apprearance

if u get caught by a copper with a "saftey" gun ask them if u can see the calibration certificate from that morning!

lol they dont know wot the f**k to do!

I believe it is 100, but some Police Forces are cracking down on Speeding in their own areas.

20MPH over the limit and it is likely your not going to get a fixed penalty and youll have to appear in Court. Especially if your speeding in "Dangerous Situations" like bad weather, roadworks, busy roads etc.

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

It would be nice to know exactly what the law states.. surely there must be something written down that coppers have to follow.

I remember watching a programme where this copper was catching people with radar in 40 zone. He said in that 40 zone they were allowing 10% + 4mph. so you would need to be doing 49 or above to get a fixed penalty. It seemed like it depends on the road and the county. Yet you hear of people getting done for doing 33/34 in a 30 zone ?????

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

I think its down to the judge on the day I know people who have been in court for exceeding 100 on the motorway and people who have exceeded 60 in a thirty and neither got banned. But I also know people who have been banned for the same thing.

There is a "dead zone" between about 95-99 where you can really get hammered by the magistrates, 100+ is a ban of some description (Normally unless you plead very good mitigating circumstances to why you shouldnt be banned).

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

So i got away very lightly with 3 points for an average of 96mph between two bridge sensors?

Quote: Originally posted by dave182 on 01 September 2004

yup ....96 is the point you get a court summons

this is a bit of a scam .. yes lowering the number of points you get if you are mercilessly flashed by one of these police force cash machines .. but what they havnt told you is that the trigger point has been lowered for a 30 zone an example 34 is lowered to 32 or 31!( this is the hidden bit they wont tell you about )... more people gettin flashed .. more of that fantastic green stuff that makes the police chief rub his hands with glee , but on the face of it it looks good dunnit .. the ability to get caught 6 times by cameras before you are banned .. loads more in the beer fund for the boys in bloo)

Roll on the next election !

Oh Mr Darling what have you done, there were a lot voters dear, but soon there will be none ...

1 mph over the 30 mph speed limit -> 2 points and £40 stealth tax ... 6 times and Im banned ? Yeah ... together with 50+% of the driving population. Guess it is a good way to reduce road congestion to meet their revised targets for that Future of Transport BS - they really would hate to mess that up a second time.

Guess who Ill be voting for ?

try this .... under proposed legislation they are going to charge people to drive per mile on our motorways .. ok they scrap the tax on fuel and road tax .. but £1.25p/mile on m25 and £1 for all other motorways ... i have worked out that it will cost me £350 quid ................... PER DAY!! to get to work and back !! and all this in the inside lane because if these clueless muppets get thier way it will be illegal for me to travel in the outside lane !!

Soon enough there has be some kinda revolt from the humble motorist.. the government gravy train is approaching some dodgy unmaintained british rail/jarvis points and the train driver has fallen asleep... how long before the train comes off the tracks!

rant over .. back to the topic !! mumble mumble mumble grumble mumble:mad:

i must also point out that it seems that a fair amount of roads i use have over the years had their speed limit changed from 60 in most cases down to 50 and even 40 .. how long before all out a roads are made 40 or even 30 so they comply with the wishes of old decrepid folks in the local parish councils who love nothing less than drving @ around 30 mph in a national speed limit zone.. and then have 15 cameras in the space of a mile placed in totally ridiculas and potentially unsafe places

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Quote: Originally posted by TomS on 01 September 2004

Bridge sensors? Are these common?
Nah its just the sensors that they set there speed measuring thingies too. It somehow knows the distance between the two bridges and works out your average between the two.

dk

911 GTS Cab

whats annoying me at the moment are the idiots that are driving around at 30-40 mph in national speed limit zones and then when it goes to 30, they are still driving at 40!

Idiots, they should be done for driving too slowly at 40 in a 60, you can be done for driving too slow in America, we should introduce it here!

dk

911 GTS Cab

oh and if they charge us £1 per mile for the motorway then it wont solve the problem as everyone will move to the A roads and country lanes and clog all of those up, the idea of motorways is to free up those roads but people will start to use those more as they will be free.

It would be total choas, although sat nav sales would go through the roof!