ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Limp Mode

1.2 daily +172 ph1
Was driving down a38 when i had to brake for a car in front putt it in to 4th and there was no power there just stuck at 1.5k I have decat but this has been on for about a month or two and no problems. Ive got a though ideas but getting it tested tuesday wa could it be.

It is the coil light in the middle which is wa came on when in limp mode ?

SANY0631.jpg

SANY0632.jpg

SANY0633.jpg

ZED TEA
i have this same problem, but its intermittent, i keep meaning to get it checked tbh, its been on going for about 6 months now, it seems to happen when its wet or after ive just washed the car...... wiggling all the wires under the bonnet seems to sort it sometimes, and id also give the sensor a wiggle thats on the top left of the engine next to the engine cover.... :) if you find out what it is could you give me a pm, cheers..

1.2 daily +172 ph1
i have this same problem, but its intermittent, i keep meaning to get it checked tbh, its been on going for about 6 months now, it seems to happen when its wet or after ive just washed the car...... wiggling all the wires under the bonnet seems to sort it sometimes, and id also give the sensor a wiggle thats on the top left of the engine next to the engine cover.... :) if you find out what it is could you give me a pm, cheers..

But mines different my car starts normal can be freely reved for 3-5 seconds then jumps straight into limp mode I have a decat but its been on for atleast a month now ive had the engine management light turn off arounf 3 weeks ago but My bets are After cat lambda has had enough off just reading engine management or Throotle position sensor gone loopy or Throotle body its self.

Its being tested later on 2day Soo i Shell let u know.

1.2 daily +172 ph1
Had it diagnosed--- Its turned out to be throttle pedal isue

Were is the cheapest place i can get this?

Renaultsport clio 172
i had the exact same problem a few months ago, diagnostics showed up throttle peddel/ throttle body, so i checked everything including-

thottle peddle/body both messin around with the 2, cleaning them up, switching them with friends parts and new ones,

lambda sensors checkin for damage and cleaning them up,

any air pipes and wires around throttle body making sure nothing was restricted, checking for damage and cleaning them up,

all sensors and connectors, again damage and cleaning them,

and out of all that after bein told to check as these are the main things to check for that light and limp mode nothing cured it...... until i changed my battery back to the original, as 2 months before i had the problem i put a bigger battery in from my old car as i was gna fit an amp and after that i have never had a problem again

so my advice is to check all that iv said i checked above as it could be any off those problems, try not to buy any parts and try and get a mates throttle pedal, throttle body (obviously same car, cause rover metro parts aint gna fit a clio lol), battery even and just to swap over to see if that the problem, if it is the problem then ul know what to get before wastin your money on either goin to a garage or buying the parts

good luck

1.2 daily +172 ph1
i had the exact same problem a few months ago, diagnostics showed up throttle peddel/ throttle body, so i checked everything including-

thottle peddle/body both messin around with the 2, cleaning them up, switching them with friends parts and new ones,

lambda sensors checkin for damage and cleaning them up,

any air pipes and wires around throttle body making sure nothing was restricted, checking for damage and cleaning them up,

all sensors and connectors, again damage and cleaning them,

and out of all that after bein told to check as these are the main things to check for that light and limp mode nothing cured it...... until i changed my battery back to the original, as 2 months before i had the problem i put a bigger battery in from my old car as i was gna fit an amp and after that i have never had a problem again

so my advice is to check all that iv said i checked above as it could be any off those problems, try not to buy any parts and try and get a mates throttle pedal, throttle body (obviously same car, cause rover metro parts aint gna fit a clio lol), battery even and just to swap over to see if that the problem, if it is the problem then ul know what to get before wastin your money on either goin to a garage or buying the parts

good luck

Cheers buddy ive wd40 most of the sensors etc anyway but i shell double check things over.

No one of my m8tes has a clio all off them have saxo's- rover's :dead:

I shell let u no how changing battery goes 2m0z.

Thanks again for that.

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
i get this problem to although it only happens around every 3 weeks. Getting checked on saturday so will be interesting to see the problem. Might try what you say and replace the battery first though

Clio 172 RS2
Just had the same occurence!

- Fault in engine management system (coil symbol)

- Air pollution / emission (engine symbol)

Booked in on Monday for soldering in a new ballast/resistor in for the throttlebody.
Got the ECU read-out this morning!

So def. not lambda sensor related.

Car runs fine and doesn't run richer or uses more fuel.
Kept an eye on the mpg usage on various trips.

Tailpipe is also sooted normally!

Clio 172 RS2
A dirty or loose connection will give a high resistance and a rich mixture signal send to the ECU!

If it is running rich the main determinant for fuel is the engine coolant temperature sensor.

1.2 daily +172 ph1
Just had the same occurence!

- Fault in engine management system (coil symbol)

- Air pollution / emission (engine symbol)

Booked in on Monday for soldering in a new ballast/resistor in for the throttlebody.
Got the ECU read-out this morning!

So def. not lambda sensor related.

Car runs fine and doesn't run richer or uses more fuel.
Kept an eye on the mpg usage on various trips.

Tailpipe is also sooted normally!

Well yours sounds similar but mine is as soon as you start it goes straight into limp mode. took throttle pedal off today and took apart just to see how work/ were it has broke and found that brushes wasnt connecting up to the connector but i think the damage has already been done.

So i shell get new part in next few days other wise. How much is this costing u to get the soldering in a new ballast/resistor in for the throttlebody guna cost ? and how did you find out it is this ?

Clio 172 RS2
After start up, that's normal... considering the watertemp is not up!
> 70ºC = more revs!

I went to a Renault Service Center, to have the ECU read out / fault code removed.
Costs? I know on monday, forgot the quote. :D

Clio 172 RS2
Small bill was EUR 127,-

Changing FBW throttle loom, testing it... so paying mainly for man hours needed for fitting.

1.2 daily +172 ph1
Small bill was EUR 127,-

Changing FBW throttle loom, testing it... so paying mainly for man hours needed for fitting.

Yes buddy i wasnt guna pay that amount of money tbf. So i took off my inlet manifold removed injector rail. And then found some more chaffing on the throttle posision sensor wires cut re solder wires. Then Brake cleaned all throttle body-butter fly and houseing. Cleaned everything all up then put back on.

This solved a few things such as - Stutering on pull off + Stuttering whilst in the revs.

Limp mode on mine was due to throttle body being jamed under load.

1.2 daily +172 ph1
Do you have any pics of removing all this as i wouldnt know where to start haha

Sorry buddy i havnt. I knew i should off took soom to show people.

Here goes on trying to explain.

Were the inlet manifold bolts in to the head remove alll the bolts 10mm i think then on the top of the inlet manifold u will have 4 femal tourqs bits u need to remove so that the inlet manifold can come off cleary. Remove fuel rail 2 tourqs bits then i just give it a little wiggle and it come off. Disconect upper loom first on ECU/COIL PACK/IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE E.G

Just check for any chaffing in the wiring when u remove the upper loom as I was very suprised at how many breaks were on the loom.

Butt with throotle body just used loads of break cleaner on it as u will be suprised at how much oil resedue is in there due to the circulation pipe.

After that put back on right and circurly JUST be care full with the Injectors on the rail as me being heavy handed broke one and was missfiring Bad times.

Hope ive helped buddy