ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Linux Media Centre

172 Exclusive #114
I guess this is for all the Linux bods out there. I'm currently looking into a Media Network, the hub of which was going to be a Windows MCE/Vista based PC, with 360s as the 'Terminals' that I could stream media to.

Now, what I want to know is if there's anyway I could do the same thing with Linux (which, I'll admit, I know pretty much bugger all about!). I 'think' there are various media solutions available for the Linux platform but do I still have the option of streaming to the 360s? Or is there a way to do it in Linux and stream to other PCs running Linux? I know there's probably a way I can make the 'Server' behave like a RealAudio streaming server for audio/video but I'd like to have a nice GUI for general media and an EPG for Live TV on the 'Terminals'. Ideas?

Cheers b'woys!

what distro are you using?

I'd ask on ubuntuforums.com they have a very busy forum and you'll bound to get someone who has/or doing what you need.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Mythtv.org

The best PVR media centre soloution on the market today.. and its free ! been using it now for a good few years and it rocks my world ;)

172 Exclusive #114
Mythtv.org

The best PVR media centre soloution on the market today.. and its free ! been using it now for a good few years and it rocks my world ;)

Cheers chap! That looks bloody ace, and I'd gather it'll be exceedingly stable as it's Linux based.

I've had a quick look through the features, just wondered what the deal is with access from other stations on the LAN, can I access all the features (i.e. as if I was sitting in front of the server) from multiple PCs at once?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Mythtv.org

Cheers chap! That looks bloody ace, and I'd gather it'll be exceedingly stable as it's Linux based.

I've had a quick look through the features, just wondered what the deal is with access from other stations on the LAN, can I access all the features (i.e. as if I was sitting in front of the server) from multiple PCs at once?

It is brilliant..

The system works as a frontend/backend system, you can have as many frontends and backends as you want and they will all work in unison with each other for example.. in my work I have

MythTV Master - 3 freeview tuner cards (can record 3 stations at once)
MythTV Slave1 - 3 freeview tuner cards (again 3 stations at once)
MythTV Encoder - Master and Slave offload commerical flagging, encoding to other formats to the machine automatically
MythTV frontend - For watching back and scheduling new recordings, i have my system download 2 weeks listings which refreshes at 3am every morning. You can do cool things like tell it to record a whole series of a program instead of manually setting each one to record.. even if the time it is aired changes it will change the recording..

At home I have one system that does everything Backend/Frontend/Encoder. The limit on how many frontends you can stream recorded or live tv programs to is only dictated by your network speed and hard drive performance. I have successfully streamed live and prerecorded video to more than 10 clients simmultaneously.

The Master dictates what machine records what, you can schedule new recording via a frontend or via the built in web interface (which allows you to schedule recordings from any internet enabled device). To be honest i could keep going on and on about the features.. they are endless.

The only thing I will say is if you intend to build mythtv yourself you will need good linux knowledge.. you can however download certain linux distributions that come with everything included and pre-built.. for example mythdora is Fedora with Mythtv

Good luck :)