ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Linux newbie!

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner
Ok, I've barely ever used linux (although I did setup a mail server about 7 years back with a version of Suse).

I've got a cheapy aspire netbook with Linpus running (based on Fedora 8 I believe). I have the advanced mode enabled so I can get behind XFCE. It's just purely for messing around on and learning more about Linux.

1. Can I learn the basics with the version on the netbook or would I be better trying another distribution ?

2. What are the main differences with the different Linux distributions ?

3. As a complete novice with Linux were is the best place to start ? A decent book maybe ?

I know there are a few Linux experts on here so any help appreciated!!

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Ok, I've barely ever used linux (although I did setup a mail server about 7 years back with a version of Suse).

I've got a cheapy aspire netbook with Linpus running (based on Fedora 8 I believe). I have the advanced mode enabled so I can get behind XFCE. It's just purely for messing around on and learning more about Linux.

1. Can I learn the basics with the version on the netbook or would I be better trying another distribution ?

2. What are the main differences with the different Linux distributions ?

3. As a complete novice with Linux were is the best place to start ? A decent book maybe ?

I know there are a few Linux experts on here so any help appreciated!!

1. Sure, its still linux. (see next question though)

2. At the most basic level.. different ways of doing things eg. different package managers. Just try a few of them and see what you like. My personal favourite for the last 2-3 years has been Ubuntu. But i've dabbled with most of them.

3. Linuxquestions.org is a great site with loadsa people willing to help. If you have a question about your specific flavour of Linux then try searching for a help forum on that specific version.

If you have specific questions just post them up and I will try to help.

R26
Ive started learning this for work to use as print and web servers to replace some of our windows servers, mainly Redhat then i moved onto CentOS as its completely free. So far ive learnt quite a bit and its not that hard at all, its just not point and click like windows and most things are done via the terminal.

Very fast as a web server compared to IIS :D

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner
Ive started learning this for work to use as print and web servers to replace some of our windows servers, mainly Redhat then i moved onto CentOS as its completely free. So far ive learnt quite a bit and its not that hard at all, its just not point and click like windows and most things are done via the terminal.

Very fast as a web server compared to IIS :D

Looking to do the same really, just playing around first in my spare time.

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner
First couple of questions!

It currently has Firefox 2.0 installed as default. The 'check for updates' option is greyed out within the firefox menu, however I went the firefox homepage and downloaded 3.5 and extracted it with XArchiver.... but now im stumped! I've only got a windows brain at the moment but I'm guessing you can't just run a setup.exe !?

I've been into the add/remove programs > list all > selected wireshark and installed it... seemed to go ok. However, its not in any of the menus as a new program to run, how do I get it to run (either via terminal or with a GUI ?)

Thanks in advance guys!

Edit: Think I might need Linux for dummies or something by the looks of it, just so I can get a hold on the basics

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
First couple of questions!

It currently has Firefox 2.0 installed as default. The 'check for updates' option is greyed out within the firefox menu, however I went the firefox homepage and downloaded 3.5 and extracted it with XArchiver.... but now im stumped! I've only got a windows brain at the moment but I'm guessing you can't just run a setup.exe !?

I've been into the add/remove programs > list all > selected wireshark and installed it... seemed to go ok. However, its not in any of the menus as a new program to run, how do I get it to run (either via terminal or with a GUI ?)

Thanks in advance guys!

Edit: Think I might need Linux for dummies or something by the looks of it, just so I can get a hold on the basics

If you have a setup.exe file then you downloaded the wrong thing. As it's Fedora based you need an rpm.

open a terminal and type wireshark ;)

It sounds like you only installed the CLI version (Command Line Interface) you need the GUI too. Have a look through add/remove programs from wireshark-gtk if its not there just do this.

Code:
su

enter your root password then type

Code:
apt-get install wireshark-gtk

if that doesn't work (cant remember if fedora uses apt) then try

Code:
yum install wireshark-gtk

be careful what you do when your are the root user !

R26
I need to have a look at SELinux soon, ive disabled it at the moment as it was blocking everything from working :S

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
SELinux is a bit of a pain TBH. Good security shouldn't cause the admin a headache.. which SELinux does (or at least did when it was first released).