ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Linux people help!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I have an old sony vaio C1XD

(which i love)

But it runs windows ME and its not that great.

How can i get it to run linux (a decent release that i can use)

All it gets used for is internet browsing.

Oh sorry!

I have 12gb, 64mb of ram(lol) and a PII 400mhz. Crap i know bit its kinda small.

Last edited:

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Exactly that ^

it will run, but you laptop is never going to win any awards with that cpu and ram ;)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
You could boot from a USB pen drive but would take a bit more work on your part !

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Erm

Ok i found an optical drive (dont ask) i will try it. Cheers guys. (im assuming i can use ME on another partion?)

Erm

Ok i found an optical drive (dont ask) i will try it. Cheers guys. (im assuming i can use ME on another partion?)

Yeah sure you can, but you'll boot from the CD to start and surely you won't be sticking with it. Might as well not bother in the first place ;)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
LOL! im just bored with slow ME its crap.

Should i expect a performance improvement?

182 w/busted splitter :-(
You will get better performance with ubuntu.

Also, if you want to install onto your hard disk, ubuntu will automagically re-partition your disk and keep your existing windows install intact (you may want to defrag your windows partition first though!)

Ubuntu will be more secure by default too - which is good news if you are using the laptop online (which you are) as the firewall is built into the operating system, unlike windows, where you must run a seperate software firewall and anti-virus (which of course is hardly necessary!)

Not a Clio
The specs for that machine say 64Mb standard, 128Mb max.

You might be better off with Xubuntu, it's lighter weight.

Not a Clio
dumb_questions.gif

;)

Here you go mate: http://www.xubuntu.org/

It's Ubuntu but it uses the XFCE desktop as opposed to the GNOME desktop that Ubuntu uses. XFCE is lighter weight than GNOME, so should run a lot quicker for you.

Last edited:
  20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
Windows xp pro is fine. I use it a lot and it does more than enough for me! :)

as iv said before I cant see how Linux will benefit me really. Not saying its not good or better than Windows because it probably is, I Just dont think it will do enough for me with what I need a computer for!

I have also tried linux 5 times (and 5 different flavours) and never got it working but thats another moan hehe!

Not a Clio
Windows xp pro is fine. I use it a lot and it does more than enough for me! :)

as iv said before I cant see how Linux will benefit me really. Not saying its not good or better than Windows because it probably is, I Just dont think it will do enough for me with what I need a computer for!

I have also tried linux 5 times (and 5 different flavours) and never got it working but thats another moan hehe!

How it might benefit you depends on whether you have any gripes or problems with Windows. If you don't then you may as well ignore Linux.