ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Linux

Erm, "Linux" is released under the GPL. (www.gnu.org for info on the licence)

www.ubuntu.com
www.debian.org
fedora.redhat.com

Are 3 distributions.. there are hundreds of distributions, tho.. all based around the Linux kernel.

If you just wanna try it out, I'd recommend www.ubuntu.com - it's about the best you'll get in terms of a desktop :)

I've used Debian for years (8-9 years or something. Both professionally and personal usage, day in, day out) and that's what I use on servers (Again, everyday.). I don't run Linux on desktop/laptops now.. as I still don't think it's up to the standard of Windows or OSX for this usage. On a server, it's unrivalled IMO, but desktop usage.. no. I used it on my desktop for years, and on my laptop recently.. and it's OK but I had to do some pretty weird things to get stuff working - like, writing scripts to get Wireless working as the GNOME app (Network Manager) didn't work properly - It should be OK now tho.. but, you'll always tend to find something doesn't work and needs some weird workaround, which never is as good. Again, I don't mind it on servers as it's all console based anyway (I run all my servers via SSH) but on a desktop/laptop, I always felt things should "just work" so you can "just do stuff" without messing around beforehand.
I guess it depends how much you wanna play around or just get stuff done :)

OSX is perfect really.. all the power of a Linux distribution, but all the polish and finish of a proper OS.. and that's what makes the difference on a machine you are *using* to do work. My OSX box has a terminal and all the apps I use regularly in Linux.. but, of course, it also has the finished product feel :)

Anyway, if you wanna play.. Ubuntu gets my vote :)
However, if you want a "Windows" replacement for your desktop, OSX on a Mac is right up there..

[No more edits by me.. :p]

Last edited:
If you just want to see what its like, Download one of theses
http://www.linuxhelp.net/linux_downloads/ if you want to keep ur windows dual boot it with windows(or use VMware(this will run another OS while windows is on in another window),
When i first used linux i downloaded mandrake :) if your use to windows linix isnt for beginners,
Depending what you want it for, my vote goes to Redhat (i had a web server running on this for 3years ) and it worked fine :)

Im a Sun man myself, but due to annoying "Windows Authenticity Error thingy" I decided to upgrade my home and work laptops to Ubuntu...... I can really say Im impressed....I have managed to get around almost every snag so far, although one thing that still riles me is certain website based app frontends that wont support Firefox or anything else non IE. Wireless worked first time, no need to p*ss around with NDISWrapper any more, and 6.06 version of Ubuntu really seems to be getting there...Well worth a try, although I miss Newsleecher.....

Red Hat is enterprise only now.. and not available unless you pay.

Fedora is the Red Hat funded "free" version.

Anyway, they all suck apart from Debian - FACT! ;)

I've used most of the major ones, and I still use Debian 9 years on.. so... ;)

fulhamfcboy1 said:
Im a Sun man myself

Slowaris? ;)
You had a head start if you do..

Linux is fine, as long as you can use a terminal.. you just can't use it without resorting to command line.
Because I just used a basic window manager, as GNOME was way in it's infant stages and KDE was useless, I had to learn it.. (KDE is still useless, IMO :p)

I've seen GNOME go from a basic clicky interface to what it is now.. and it's rediculous at how much it's come on.. however, it's still not at the stage where I'd recommend it to the average home user.

Conteo said:
Thanks, can I load OSX on my pc, i know its possible, but is it hard?

Not easy, depends on loads of things and it's not legal I don't think?

What I did was get a Mac Mini off of eBay, had a play and see if I liked it.
I ended up buying a Macbook Pro :)

Black S2 106 Rallye LHD
I was getting fed up of Windows and wanted to try a Linux-based OS.

Somebody at work gave me the Ubuntu CD and I've set my laptop up in dual boot now so that I can choose either on startup.

Unfortunately though I'm using Windows again. Ubuntu was fine, but everything is just easier with Windows.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Linux has a major problem....

Too many random cooks spoil the broth.

It requires a single, consistent, unified GUI, otherwise it's going to find it very hard to gain desktop acceptance.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
^^ true.

im no linux expert. iv tried it on 3 occasions and never been impressed. I found it very slow too, even on a high spec machine.

Altho to be fair I have very minimal knowledge of it which probably doesnt help!

Adams_16v said:
^^ true.

im no linux expert. iv tried it on 3 occasions and never been impressed. I found it very slow too, even on a high spec machine.

Altho to be fair I have very minimal knowledge of it which probably doesnt help!

If you use comand line, it's perfect.. which is why I use it on all my servers. On the desktop, the GUI is more important to most people, so that's where it fails.

When I used it on my desktop, I purely used the GUI to launch terminals.. and then have a web browser. I even used www.mutt.org as my mail client (console based app) which is *VERY* *VERY* powerful if you configure it right. I spent weeks getting the config right and in the end, I had so many cool features it took me ages to get used to using anything else. Mail in high volumes in Mutt is effortless.

I reckon if you used Linux just purely from the command line, then you'd soon realise how good it is. Testing it out with a Live CD in a GUI, really won't give you an idea. I guess I was kinda lucky in that when I started using it, no real "Desktop environment" was available so I had no choice but to learn it.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
problem with usingthe command line is learning the language....! i can imagine it takes a while. hehe!

Fiat Panda 100hp
lol thanks guys. thinks ill stick with windows for abit then buy a mac when i can afford one. Cheers

UR 197, AB 182 FF
You could visit www.vmware.com and get the vmware player and the browser appliance (both free as in beer). This not only allows you to browse the web more securely (infinitely more secure than IE in this case) but also you can have a play with linux without the risk of screwing your machine up (even more in your case ;) ).

That'll be £50 please :rasp:

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
If you have an nvidia card download korrora (its a live cd so wont overwrite you original os) and tell me the desktop sux ;)

XGL rulez !

I use Redhat Enterprise Linux 4 on my servers at work and I use FC5 at home, Im a qualified RHCT so find it a no brainer to use. FC5 is as stable for me as RHEL4 is .. weird considering FC5 is a testing ground for new code to be put into RHEL4 and should be used for testing purposes only.

Ubuntu is good but Kubuntu is better ;)

Not a Clio
KDF said:
If you have an nvidia card download korrora (its a live cd so wont overwrite you original os) and tell me the desktop sux ;)

XGL rulez !

I use Redhat Enterprise Linux 4 on my servers at work and I use FC5 at home, Im a qualified RHCT so find it a no brainer to use. FC5 is as stable for me as RHEL4 is .. weird considering FC5 is a testing ground for new code to be put into RHEL4 and should be used for testing purposes only.

You mean compiz, or should I say Beryl ;) http://blog.beryl-project.org/ formally Compiz Quinn.

Here's my "sucky" desktop in Ubuntu Edgy Eft with Beryl

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
ahh, lol, so they didn't evole as it were. SUSE was the first I used, and tryed Redhat then Gentoo.. Gentoo scared me off and I hate compiling stuff. Haven't used linux for about 3/4 years now :(

VW ....
KDF said:

XGL rulez !

looks like i taught u well ;)

Octavia VRS
I used to use Redhat a lot in my uni days but haven't used it too much recently. Should really get back into it

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
wooops! Just figured as noone had mentioned them that they had faded out, rather wrong on that one! How do they compare to those mentioned?