ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lithium Ion Battery

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Looking for reccomendations for a lithium ion race battery.
Was looking into the usual odyssey batteries until someone mentioned li ion ones and are alot lighter.

Anyone running one and got experience / reccomendations?

Last edited:
  renault clio 1.4 16v
jump started a car once using a rc lipo battery... however the lightness will come at a cost... lithium batteries are not cheap and normally have a usable life of 2 years... there are quite a few available for cars, id recommend going for a good brand...

fixedgear

ClioSport Club Member
Ran some Super B B15P (£700) on some World Rallycross cars.

They're very light but required a 15v charge from the alternator.

Also, when we had trouble starting the car at an event and had it on trickle/jump, the fucker exploded and caught fire..... Quite an emotional time , two lads trying to get it out the car before it burnt the fekker down.

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
The OUMF race team I am in is sponsored by Super B batteries, so I have reasonable experience with them. Li batteries are amazingly light, the first time you pick one up you won't believe it. Super B say the lifetime of their batteries is at least 5 years, but we've only had them a year. We have had no problems with them as of yet. You have to have a specific charger for lithium batteries, otherwise you will shorten the lifespan of them. Haven't had a fire yet, but that's quite disturbing to hear!

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
May take one step at a time and go for an oddysey which is 7kgs but still lighter than standard and then maybe upgrade to li ion at a later date
Thanks for the advice / experiences

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
In your position, I probably wouldn't upgrade the battery unless you are going to go with lithium. If you are going to use lithium, mount it in the boot and have a fire extinguisher in your car. Personally I wouldn't want to drive without an extinguisher, just seems logical to carry one anyway.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Fire extinguishers don't work on lithium fires, they just keep burning until they burn out. Burying it is the only option.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
I used a golf trolley battery in my mx5 track car, never had an issue starting even in the winter and weighs about 5kgs and was about 30quid..

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Really nervous about all the lithium batteries in our cars now, did you get in contact with Super B after the fire @punk_rallye ?? If so what was their response? Are lithium car battery fires common? I couldn't find any articles on google referring to race car battery fires.

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
In your position, I probably wouldn't upgrade the battery unless you are going to go with lithium. If you are going to use lithium, mount it in the boot and have a fire extinguisher in your car. Personally I wouldn't want to drive without an extinguisher, just seems logical to carry one anyway.

At this stage Im pretty sure fitting the battery in the car isnt an option as I'll be entering in road going production class. Otherwise battery relocation wouldve been quite high on my to do list. Probably wont happen unless I go for modified class

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
At this stage Im pretty sure fitting the battery in the car isnt an option as I'll be entering in road going production class. Otherwise battery relocation wouldve been quite high on my to do list. Probably wont happen unless I go for modified class
At the time I posted that I didn't realise a fire extinguisher didn't put them out... Trying to decide where is best for my lithium battery now, don't really fancy an engine bay fire, but then I'm not one for a fire in the cockpit either... Might just tow it behind me aha

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
I used a golf trolley battery in my mx5 track car, never had an issue starting even in the winter and weighs about 5kgs and was about 30quid..

Me too! they are hardy little buggers even when basically flat they will start the car, perfect for a competition car. I have one that is nearly 10 years old and still going strong! They are AGM so deliver the beans down to something like 80% discharge. I run twin batteries in my car for a bit of resilience, id rather run 5kg heavier and my car start every time than be sat on the start line with a flat battery!

A lot of people chase Kg's but there are 100's of places you can save which are cheaper/safer before lithium batteries. First place is yourself! if you are overweight that your first place to save it. A lot of people run more fuel than they need, petrol is 737g per litre run 10 litres more than you need that is 7 kg of weight you don't need. Wheels are the perfect place to save it, you can save 5kg off the car no problem with lightweight wheels which also has a massive benefit to handling, acceleration and braking. The list is endless..

Basically unless your running a high end race car don't bother.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Avanti racing storm are probably the cheapest lightweight wheels that will fit, lighter and cheaper than oz ultraleggeras etc. About 4.5kg per wheel and iirc around 500-600 for a brand new set.

As for batteries. I ran thw golf cart ones and eventually they would have enough. Currently running a Varley 25 which is much better but the same size and weight. I would have liked a Varley Li16 lithium battery but I couldn't justify a 3-4kg saving costing £600 extra.