ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Locking wheel bolts - no key

E46M3
Hi,

I'm having some trouble removing my wheel bolts. When I bought my car there where no keys to the locking bolts, but 2 bolts per wheel. Left and right different ones. The left side I could hammer an 18mm socket on and get it loose, but the other ones are just a pain..
I tried drilling them out but it just is way to hard. Welding them is my last option, but there is little space there..

I have a picture from the locking bolts, hope it works with the new uploading website. Maybe someone on here knows these and has a key or something.

a57ui0.jpg

I saw a set for sale here, but those are slightly different.. Any help is welcome!

Thanks,
Brian

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
You can get tools at halfords or screwfix that will do the job.. or call a local tyre fitters and see if they'll do it.

Get rid of them and just use normal bolts instead for this exact reason.. No one is going to steal your wheels !

E46M3
Well, now you mention it, I forgot to say the car is not road legal. So can't get it out actually and need to find some way to get it done at home.. I'll take a look at the halfords stuff!

There will be a stud & nut conversion fitted when these are out, car is purely for track.

Clio 2.0 16v 182
Weld. It is literallly the easiest and quickest method. A few sheets of tin foil will stop any splatter, if you care about your alloys hat much.

It takes seconds and you don't look like a window licker hammering and drilling at something for hours just to have to rethread the hub.

E46M3
I haven't welded in years, is it anything I can do myself with a Mig welder and just weld on a nut or something? Not sure if it will stick fairly good.

I ordered a key, if that doesn't fit I will try to weld them up. Thanks!

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Loads of mobile tyre fitted will come and break them off for you.

Why can't you use the socket and hammer method? If it has a spinning collar, just use a punch to snap it off.

Where abouts are you?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
I haven't welded in years, is it anything I can do myself with a Mig welder and just weld on a nut or something? Not sure if it will stick fairly good.

I ordered a key, if that doesn't fit I will try to weld them up. Thanks!

Yeah, get the biggest nut you can find that will fit in the bolt hole and that you can still get a socket on once welded in place.

Weld the centre up fully, job done.

E46M3
I'm in the Netherlands, no tyre services that visit at location for this stuff around here..

I didn't know the spinning collar could be knocked off. Is that actually managable? At this point no socket I have could fit the bolt, tried alot of stuff already.

I have a welder and some experience, but like said years ago. Will give it a go of the ordered key will not fit!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Why would you order a key that you think will not fit ?

Hammer a chisel into the centre of it, then use mole-grips or something to get some leverage to loosen it...?! if in doubt - warm it up first.. maybe ?

E46M3
I think the key will fit, that's why I ordered it. Also only got the welder in after I ordered it, didn't knew my father in law had one.

Will wait for the key wich should come in next week, welder is the other option. Thanks for the replies!

RS 200 CUP
I had the same thing but because the wheels were being scrapped I just took a grinder, hammer and chisel to them (im 25 with no welding experience or equipment otherwise i'd have tried that). Left them in a right mess but didn't cost anything so was still relatively happy, here's the state of the wheel nuts after
20170611_144135.jpg

monaco 172
I think the key will fit, that's why I ordered it. Also only got the welder in after I ordered it, didn't knew my father in law had one.

Will wait for the key wich should come in next week, welder is the other option. Thanks for the replies!
My mate had a shopping bag full of these style keys all which looked like they would fit but not one of them did lol.

E46M3
I'll go full hammer style with the nut if I think there is the slightest chance I can hammer it on. But will get the welder out if it takes me more than 10 minutes haha!

Car had just refurbished turini's that now already have some paint damage, not really a big deal since I wanted a different colour anyway..

E46M3
Update in case anyone ever gets the same problem and wondered how it ended - The key I ordered fitted, did have to give it a gentle tap with the good old hammer to get the key in.

Picture for a good reference of the bolts, weird ass pattern and high recommanded as anti theft locks if anyone ever gets a chance to buy them. Thanks for all the answers!

Attachments

• IMG_3294.JPG
    IMG_3294.JPG
    263.9 KB · Views: 36