ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Locking wheel nuts

White APE
I had a flat yesterday and managed to get the car to a tyre place to be told they only had a budget to swap it for. Didn't have much choice as I needed to get back on the road.

However when they went to get the wheel off the locking nut was seized solid and kept kicking the key out when they were trying to undo it.
They had some tool they hammered on to it which they managed get to hold so they could get it off.

I said I would be changing both the fronts when I get a chance for something less s**t than the HIFLY that's been put on. They advised however to get rid off the locking nuts as this is a common problem ( a woman there at the same time was having the same issue) and to replace with standard bolts.
However I'm a bit concerned about not having locking nuts on the car.

What would you guys do? Is this such a common problem or can you get better quality locking nuts that don't have this issue?

The key looks like it made of cheese!

renault clio 1.2
I would just put standard bolts on mate, i had taken all my locking wheel nuts off as they were useless. I dont think people steal wheels anymore, well i haven't seen anything for a while :)

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
The problem was probably down to the last time they were fitted, some pellet had probably rammed them on with an impact gun.

I have McGard ones on mine, don't have any problems with them.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
McGard come as standard on Fords in the UK with alloy wheels...

TBH I could go into Halfords or screwfix and buy a 'key' that fits most type of locking systems. Wheels aren't worth stealing - not ones from a Fiesta anyway. Takes too long and requires jacks etc...

I'd just put the standard bolts in there and be done with it. If someone REALLY wants them - the locking nut won't stop them.