ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Locks freezing with this COLD (brrr..) weather

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Hey guys! With the freezing temperatures lately my locks are freezing making it extremely difficult for me to even get my key in never mind turn it to open the door :( I have to open my car manually with my key because my central locking sensor is broken :dead: This happened to me tonight when round at a friends house, luckily a mate was able to spray some deicer into my locks for me but if I was on my own I would have been in a bit of a disaster.. Its always the drivers side that freezes the worst and the passenger side isnt to bad so I can usually get in using it but tonight both were awful..

Basically would anyone have any tips for me to possibly prevent my locks from freezing? Its really pissing me off to be honest at times like this without the ability to open the car using the central locking from the outside which makes me wonder why not fork out the £100+ to get it repaired :dapprove: Having to open my car using the key isnt a big deal, just now when the dam locks freeze :(

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Heat the key with a fag lighter? Wee on the locks.

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
WD40 is normally what I treat mine with. Wee'ing would also help!!

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
Yes ive been told the old trick of taking a leak LOL ill give WD40 a try in the morning

Heat the key with a fag lighter?

Really you dont see the problem with him not being able to get into the car so you suggest he heats up his key with the fag lighter:clap: Im joking mate you replied at 3.30 so Il let you off. ;)

GavC

ClioSport Club Member
  Black Gold 182FF
I can see where hes coming from by heating the key - melting the frozen water inside but thats if I am physically able to insert the key which was impossible with my drivers door this evening :dead: Ill have to start carrying a lighter, people will probably think ive started smoking for goodness sake if i do but oh well :eek:

elise s1 175 / Clio 197
graphite grease in the lock.... stops it freezing and lubricates.... smear it on the key when it's thawed out and insert it several times (oooh er missus). you should get it from a decent smallish motor factors, not sure about halfords? perhaps try the bike hut?