ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

London Long Exposures!

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
went up to London yesterday for a day out, while out and about I managed to get a few shots using my ND filter, its the first time I have tried it out and can't wait to use it again.

C&C welcome

7068584815_ddc0bdfe5d_z.jpg

6922503566_a5c62b2654_z.jpg

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Nice :) Really want to try out a ND filter.

Link to full set?

I only spent about half hour as I was loosing light so these are the only two. I plan on heading up there again soon to get some more.

wow.
what camera/lens buddy?

These are shot with a -

Nikon d300s
Sigma 10-20mm lens
Hoya NDx400 (9stop) filter

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Cheers for the feedback guys, I wasn't to sure about them at first but I think I am too critical with my photos at times.

I will get the exif data up later :)

Just my sort of photos! Love long exposure shots.

You've come along way since the photos you posted from our little London meet! Nice work.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Cheers for the kind words guys :)

Thanks Dan, it's something we will have to do again. It's your fault I bought a filter after that meet :p about to order some grads in the next week or so which I am looking forward to trying out.

WRX
From Mr Average Joe I haven't got a clue about photos, they look great. The eye cracks me up, wouldn't want to be on that.

I love the colours in 2 and the little line caused by a boat is a nice lead in line.

#1 is an extremely common viewpoint but your sky is almost cloud free making it blander than a lot of the other long exposures taken from this spot. Now I know you can't magic clouds but if you could or you do go back then your shot would only match what has already been covered many times before. So I would look for a different 'take' if repeating :)

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
I love the colours in 2 and the little line caused by a boat is a nice lead in line.

#1 is an extremely common viewpoint but your sky is almost cloud free making it blander than a lot of the other long exposures taken from this spot. Now I know you can't magic clouds but if you could or you do go back then your shot would only match what has already been covered many times before. So I would look for a different 'take' if repeating :)

Thanks for the Crit Brazo! :) I agree about the first being a typical veiwpoint, but I was slowly running out of light and I was quite restricted to where I could place my camera as I only had my gorilla pod with me. However I can't do much about the coulds lol!

Like them Matt! Must be nice being able to do long exposures ;)

Cheers Nick, yea it is nice I think I might try some out of the box shots with it aswell instead of the typical Landscape stuff. You should invest in one, you won't regret it. :)

Stunning results mate :) how long were the exposures?

Cheers :)

no.1 - 106 seconds @f20
no.2 - 120 seconds @f10

"Navy" N17 TWO
Wow thats longer than I guessed - by a lot! lol

I'm new to the filter scene myself, anything done in PP?

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
They needed longer to be honest but I needed the loo and wanted to get back to the pub lol!

I tweaked the highlights/shadows and also corrected the whitebalance, along with some noise reduction but not alot to be honest. All done in LR4

Last edited:
I do love long exposures, there is something nice about the magic that the slow shutter speed creates. Just got another 10 stopper today myself!

Petrol Blue 182.
awsome! whats an ND filter? :eek:

Also how can you get such long exposures? my camera will only allow me to do a max of 30sec's before it says BULB? and an F rate of 10 and 20? mine sets it self at like 4.5? damn n00bs

Last edited:
Neutral density.

Basically it lets less light into the camera. Have a look at the tutorial sticky, I mention them in there :)

Bulb is what you would use to get these exposures, but you have to manually time them.

Brazo - which 10 stop did you get?

I love long exposures too, I've always liked taking photos in ways you can't see with your eyes.

Can't beat a good long exposure shot.
I really like the 2nd one, great effect on the Eye and that light trail from the boat looks very cool!

Citroen DS3 DSport
I use a B+W 10 stop and find I get great results with that. I do need to buy a new larger size though which I can use on more of my lenses using step up rings.

Last edited:
I use a B+W 10 stop and find I get great results with that. I do need to buy a new larger size though which I can use on more of my lenses using step up rings.

This Dan! I have two screw ins. I know it would be cheaper to get a system one but the quality of b&w is great