ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Long list of issues with the Trophy

Trophy #387
Hi all,

I'd appreciate some clued-up advice from some forum users on my car, admittedly, I should take it into a garage, but i'd like to get a better idea of what may be wrong and i'll take it down to my local garage for further inspection.

1. Whining/screeching at 95mph+

I don't want any preaching about "don't go that fast = problem solved" please. When I reach this speed I get a very loud noise which sounds like it's coming from beneath the centre console, it's a hard sound to explain, it's not really a whistling noise but more of a screech. It doesn't affect performance, so i'm not sure it's engine related, but it may be gearbox??

2. Break wear

I've got Ferodo DS2500 pads on all 4 corners, and in 4-5 months (about 7000 miles) i've worn through a set of pads on the rear. Does this sound right? The 2 garages i've spoken to so far don't believe it's right, and think I may have issues here. What do you all think? I know a few people may have these pads, is this a normal rate of wear? The fronts still look very new... Maybe too much braking is being done on the rear tyres?

3. Shocks? Suspension issues?

After travelling at 70mph upwards, when braking there is a loud "scrape" which comes from the front passenger side of the car. I can't work out if it's some sort of weird tyre scrape, or perhaps suspension issues? After I come down from that speed, every small bump in the road that I hit gives out the same noise. It's not a bang, more of a scrape. After 30-60 seconds at lower speeds, the noise no longer occurs.

If anyone could offer an insight into what any of these issues may be, i'd be very grateful. I'm sure it's not a cheap fix, but I am looking to get the car back into better shape.

Thanks,
Jonny

My trophy used to make the screech just after 100. Shat myself every time.

Apparently it's the windscreen seal?

Windscreen seal or exhaust fouling something due to movement via engine mounts. Could be a knackerd cat to manifold kit.

Brakes i would say you have caliper issues, also file a few mm of the ends of the backing plates on the front pads if not already done.

Suspension noise could be many things tbh. Needs a keen eye looking over it, but if the car is a keeper or atleast looking for a better resale value i would re-fresh all the suspension components.

Trophy #387
Windscreen seal or exhaust fouling something due to movement via engine mounts. Could be a knackerd cat to manifold kit.

Brakes i would say you have caliper issues, also file a few mm of the ends of the backing plates on the front pads if not already done.

Suspension noise could be many things tbh. Needs a keen eye looking over it, but if the car is a keeper or atleast looking for a better resale value i would re-fresh all the suspension components.

I simply can't afford to get the suspension re-furbed all in one go, I think the best option for me is that I get some coilovers or something, put them on, and when I have the money sent off a corner at a time to be sorted out.

Any suggestions on good coilovers?

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
1.exhaust to cat seal?

2. caliper refurb time? (remove pads, check everything moves freely, wind back pistons and reinsert pads, pump pedal) rear brakes hot after a run?

3. is it on original springs?, any sign of rubbing inside the arches (remove the wheel)?