ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

looking at buying phase 2 172 need some advice asap!

182 Cup
hi, new to the forum but am looking at buying a phase 2 172 and was wondering what to look out for mainly because i'm a girl and don't want the buyer to think they can take the p***. know a decent amount about cars but wanted to know more info on these as don 't want to be paying out for major repairs that could be avoided by buying the right car to start with

any help would be great

172 Cup 181bp 165lbf
Look through the history and make sure its used 5w-40 fully synthetic oil, if not you may get dephaser problems later in date. listen to the engine after its warm and make sure it doesn't sound like a diesel (that would be the dephaser gone). make sure the price is right for the car! if belts havnt been done without proof of receipt then you don't want to be paying much over 2k depending on the variant as a cambelt change is £300-£400 + (again depending on varent). Rear brakes also, make sure there is abit of life in them as the rear discs have the bearings built into them and will seem more £££ that to what you are using. other than that, they are fairly solid engines.

AB 182-GTI-6-205 GTI
As said, warm the car right up, listen to it on tickover and if it sounds like a diesel Transit the dephaser needs doing, also make sure the temp gauge reads bang on half way, any less after a good run and the stat and/or coolant temp needs doing.

Disks are expensive and as mentioned the bearing is built in so listen for grumbly bearings on the test drive.

Make sure everything works! Sounds silly, but in the heat of the moment its easy to forget things like making sure the xenons light up, electric wondows mirrors, air con is cold etc...

182 Cup
is the dephaser expensive to get done? just to know whether it would still be worth buying or not. ah good point about the small things thanks! the guy has dropped the price quite a lot needs to get rid asap as can't afford to keep it so hopefully if it's decent will be the right price. thanks for your advice good to hear decent things about them instead of people writing them off as just being french cars :)

172 Cup 181bp 165lbf
the dephaser isnt that bad (around £200) BUT you then have to re do the cambelt, which is another £300-£400+ on top

182 Cup
gets quite expensive with the cam belt on top then. would the cam belt still need doing even if had been done recently?

172 Cup 181bp 165lbf
5 years or 60,000 miles....if no proof then get it done, just make sure you get the car £400 or so cheaper than asking! you dont want that snapping!!!

182 Cup
it's on 67,000 so will be checking that with them that's the main thing i was looking for didnt realise there was so much else to keep an eye out for

172 Cup 181bp 165lbf
tbh there isnt really.
the 3 main things i would say are:

1) Look through history and see if its been run on 5w-40 fully synthetic oil
2) Listen to the left of the engine once warm, make sure it doesn't sound like a diesel
3) Look for proof of belts

Other than that, its just the usual stuff when looking at a new car.

182 Cup
thanks millerin that breaks it down more easily!
liampete i was originally looking at vw as i've wanted a golf for as long as i can remember but decent ones are few and far between atm all of them seem to have mileage through the roof and not in great condition :(

172 Cup
Do a search on here for the number plate - might get you an alternative history and let you know if its been abused or looked after.

Didn't do that on Soph's and then found out it had been spotted a few months earlier damaged at the side of the road.