ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking for a cheap track car

Hi guys

I am looking for a cheap track car to do a few days in, that's all it'll be used for but needs to be road legal.

What's better the PH1 or PH2 and why ? There are a couple of cars as an example on ebay, one a track car already and lots of standard cars, I like the idea of both for various reasons but what do you think of this track car?

Also, other than the 10bhp what's better about the 182?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281642765774

320d
Because the ph1's have cable throttle so better response and they're 60kg lighter than the ph2.

Cups are slightly lighter than the ph1 and generally make better power than normal 172's believed to be down to having no AC.

Ph1 -
Pros : generally cheaper than ph2, cable throttle is more responsive, 15" alloys, ugly and dated so you won't care if you crash and damage it.

Cons : older, so finding a decent base car may be harder, potential for rot on cheaper buys, has ac and abs

Yep I'm watching that too, lovely spec but I'm sure it'll end at more than I wanted to spend initially.

Yep I'm watching that too, lovely spec but I'm sure it'll end at more than I wanted to spend initially.

It probably will fetch ok money, but it's worth considering that it has decent bucket seats, coilovers, arb, brakes, PMS kit, and tyres so if you were to buy a standard car and buy those parts (all of which are on my list!) you'll be looking at considerably more.

Definitely worth keeping an eye on it!

Yep I agree, but half the fun is building it up over time myself and enjoying the changes. I'm an engineer and can't help but tinker.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
Yep I agree, but half the fun is building it up over time myself and enjoying the changes. I'm an engineer and can't help but tinker.

That's what I did as I wanted the project but it has probably cost me a lot more than buying a car already sorted, doing it this way you will learn a lot more as well.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
after owning all of the options you're considering I'd say the 172 cup is the best car to turn into a track car. Half of the work is already done for you and if you want to put a 182 manifold on it it's easy.
Lighter glass, majority of the tar isn't there in the first place, lighter heater set up, less wiring, no A/C, no ABS, no headlight washers etc etc.

Thanks Graham, Im hopefully going to buy something this week, I think for what I will use it for if the right 172 comes up then I'd just buy it and spend the necessary time to lighten it up, if a 172 came up in budget then I'd obviously get that.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Yep do that. I've been on track, overtaken and been overtaken by cups etc. best you can for budget mate

Im not new to track days, or even clios as Ive had a few but this will predominantly sit outside my house other than track days and maybe an odd weekend, I have a bike and a daily hack so this is just something to play with and do a few track days, I cant help but tinker

018dd023.jpg

One of my old ones, I was going to post some photos of the 3 I've owned but thats the only photo I can find.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Looks great. Are you one of those like me. Sold it, went a couple of months and then realised, oh fook and bought another?

Yep but at the time the reality was I didnt have the time, now I'm settled have the time to actually use it and want something to tinker with which isnt my bike I fancy another, they're cheap, cheap to insure and lots of fun for a small car although I appreciate it wont set any records, I know it'll be a laugh on track

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Pretty much why everyone comes back to them really. Hope you find something. Btw what sort of budget and spec you after?

Initial budget just for the car is approx £1300m but doesn't have to be, if it has mods great if it doesn't it's not a problem for a good base. I'm a realist and obviously not expecting much spec.

2 cars that I keep looking at on eBay are these two, for complete opposite reasons. One is a respectable mileage car, bog standard etc and the other is a ragged 172 with lots of track bits already done (although this does take some fun out for me but saves some cash)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321709402922?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281642765774?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Why didn't you like it?
To be honest, one plan I had was to buy both and fit the track one up with the interior from the nicer car and sell it for not too disimilar money and keep all the track goodies from it

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I know not a deciding factor but the stickers, raised bonnet, exhaust, rear tow strap, blue bits instantly put me off

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Either, I've owned both. I loved my phase 1 as it was mint. I love my current phase 2 as its mint for a track car.

Best car over ph1/ph2

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
It is tbf, any excuse to pic whore lol.

I stand by what I say unless you really really want another phase 1, as you've owned one before. There is no difference in performance with all things being equal (engine health)

Yep fair enough mate, I'm sure it will open up more doors for finding one too. Any pics of the interior?