ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking for a track toy!

BMW E90 M3
Hi all, I'm currently an owner of a BMW E90 M3, and I'd like to keep it nice but still enjoy track days - so I've started looking for (probably) a 182 which I'd also use as a daily, as the M3 costs a fair bit to run and a lot of my journeys are short trips in zone 2/3 London.

On the lookout for something either ready to go with minor mods and still road legal and usable, or I'll just buy a 182 and do it myself - mainly brakes, tyres and maybe seats but I want to keep it road legal. Probably looking for something in a few weeks time, any advice welcomed!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Out of interest why not a 197/200?

For me, as a daily they are significantly better than the 182/172 and price wise it's pretty identical these day. Running costs are more for fuel, tyres brakes etc, but it already has front brembos and if you're lucky recaro seats.

As a track car they probably aren't as "fun" but they handle better. Only thing that is a MUST is remap. The flat spot once you fit an aftermarket exhaust is shocking.

The gearbox whilst considered a weak spot is much nicer to use too. Last bonus is if you ever get bored of the standard power an R26 engine and gearbox swap is pretty easy to do.

BMW E90 M3
Thanks for the advice.

I'm open to a 197 too. I knew the brakes were better as standard, but as you say above I'd assumed the running costs would be a bit higher and from reading up a bit the 182's seem a bit lighter.

Given I want to keep it road legal and not too loud, I wasn't too worried about an aftermarket exhaust. Does it need a remap on standard, and is it the same for a 182?

Other advantage of the 197 is of course it's newer. I don't know much yet about relative issues and costs to fix but I'll look into that.

I'm not too worried about quality as a daily. For short trips locally, going to the supermarket etc I don't really care, for anything longer I've also got the M3 which is my current daily, so I can always use that as my 'special occasion' daily :)

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
182 you can get away with an "RSTuner" remap but it doesn't really need it, still worthwhile though. Cheap enough and is basically flash map. 197 has a flatspot as standard that drives everyone mad so people get it mapped out.

In terms of running costs, bigger tyres, bigger brakes, worse MPG. In terms of common issues you've got swivel hubs, sticking rear calipers and the flexi joint needing replacing. All a bit of a pain but not too bad really.