ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Looking for Mk1 172

Weve recently bought a 182 (from somebody on this forum, I believe), but the missus has pretty much commandeered it, and Im consigned to using a 1.4 Clio to get to work and back - no big problem, cause most days I car share! But driving the 182 at the weekend, and a 1.4 Clio during the week is kind of frustrating.

So, Ive taken the decision to try and flog my 1.4 Clio. Im hoping to get about £5K for it. Ive been researching, and there seem to be quite a few Mark 1 172s on Autotrader for around £5K. Id love to get a Mk 2, purely because I actually love the shape, and I wanted to get a silver one. But a silver Mk 1 would be the next best thing. Anybody have any advice as to what I should look for when buying a Mk 1 172? Any pros/cons etc.

Oh, and does the Mk 1 have that 5,000rpm surge? Im addicted to that, and I cling onto the steering wheel for dear life in 2nd gear! It scares my mates to death!!

Failing that, I might just get a motorbike!!

Ziel Nurburgring

Only driven 1 ph1 172 and my 172, and a few 182s. The ph1 didnt have the noticable surge the others have.

Isnt mike (badinvincable) trying to flog his? Drop him a PM and ask.

Also, i dont know how it worked, but some ph1s have an alloy bonnet, i dont know if this was a later revision or just a lucky dip as to who got them.

Quote: Originally posted by blink172 on 09 August 2005

Only driven 1 ph1 172 and my 172, and a few 182s. The ph1 didnt have the noticable surge the others have.

Isnt mike (badinvincable) trying to flog his? Drop him a PM and ask.

Also, i dont know how it worked, but some ph1s have an alloy bonnet, i dont know if this was a later revision or just a lucky dip as to who got them.

Not for 5k unfortunately.

If you want something loud and low - you can have mine for 6.2k ono

Suzuki SV1000S

Of course the surge is there - It is the same engine, Better response with the throttle cable and lighter than the mk2.

Mine is also for sale but not for 5k

Ziel Nurburgring

All im saying is that the one i drove had a smooth power delivery (it was still fast), just didnt have the Ph2 kick, maybe they had been stingy and been running it on 95.

Thanks to everybody for responding. I know I can get one for about five grand ... seen them on Autotrader. Im not too fussed about it being "immaculate" - itll only be my second car, use it maybe two days a week! But Im sick of the 1.4 Clio (which is still pretty nippy, but absolutely nothing like the 182!) Nothing beats having a Mini Cooper hassling you from behind (ooer) and flooring the 182 ... there is no better feeling!

If its got the surge, and its exciting like the 182, then Im definitely interested. I hope somebody buys my 1.4! I priced it for a local sale (i.e. high, because theyre expensive in our area) but Im prepared to travel the length of the country to get a cheap example of a 172.

Thanks again to everybody ... I wish theyd open up the forum to new members, cause Ive got Cliosport stickers in my car (from the previous owner), but Im not a member yet!!

EVO VII

the mk 1 172 will be faster aswell so youll have even more fun then in your 182 ;) for 5k you cant complain can you.

Oh mines a W reg and has an alloy bonnet, my brother has an X reg and also has a alloy bonnet.

Mk1s are the ones Id be tempeted to go for. Th2 Mk2 looks more grown up inside and out IMO but the mk1s easier to work one (no annoying UCH or multiplex wiring to work on) plus as Fred said cable throttle bodies rock. After driving 182 Im still shocked how much better the Williams (cable throttle) goes much more responsive.

Quote: Originally posted by Mr172Mk1 on 09 August 2005
Its all about the Mk1s ;)

You mean phase 1? Mk1s are William etc.
All Clios are superb in there given market/ competion. Things change if they get better thats a game of give and take IMO.

Golf R/Leon FR

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 09 August 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Mr172Mk1 on 09 August 2005

Its all about the Mk1s ;)

You mean phase 1? Mk1s are William etc.
All Clios are superb in there given market/ competion. Things change if they get better thats a game of give and take IMO.
Mk1 is definatley the way to go

its the first 172 to be produced so most people call it a mk1

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Whoever said that mk1 172s dont kick obviously drove a bum model.

Mine kicks twice, once at 4000rpm and again at 5500rpm, and mine only makes 126hp (92kw) ATW due to the altitude Im at.

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Mine squeaks when cold, rattles all the time, and bumps when I accelerate or slow down...but I still love it

Suzuki SV1000S

The only thing that rattles on mine is the stereo - That is aftermarket too lol

On my old Cup the dash rattles a hell of a lot

Fiesta ST Stage 3

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 09 August 2005

mk1 is the most fun (other than the proper cup) in the range IMO

gearbox is good too
^^^ My ass is it mine went bang at 58000 k £ 1,200 fix :(

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by mr bognor on 10 August 2005Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 09 August 2005mk1 is the most fun (other than the proper cup) in the range IMO
gearbox is good too^^^ My ass is it mine went bang at 58000 k £ 1,200 fix :(

treat your gearbox like a relationship, gentle at first, once it gets on a bit, you can slap it/her around a bit

Quote: Originally posted by blink172 on 09 August 2005

What you on about man? :confused:

Ive driven all 3 and power delivery is the same on pretty much all of them... the one you drove must of belonged to a girl ;)

PS £6k Shaun and you can have a black one!

Fiesta ST Stage 3

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 10 August 2005

Quote: Originally posted by mr bognor on 10 August 2005
Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 09 August 2005mk1 is the most fun (other than the proper cup) in the range IMO

gearbox is good too
^^^ My ass is it mine went bang at 58000 k £ 1,200 fix :(

treat your gearbox like a relationship, gentle at first, once it gets on a bit, you can slap it/her around a bit
True i was crunching it all the time . But now its easy as a b c 1 2 3 :)