ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

loose wheels?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
bit of a random one.

refurbed my oz f1 wheels other day ( not happy with them and am going to have to pay to get them done properly).

anyways i put them on friday night, took it for a quick drive up the dual carriageway and then back home. all seemed fine.

took it to work, and was ok again. and on journey back which is like 5 miles, i felt like something wasnt right. turned at a roundabout and then had some steering wheel wobble at 50 mph.

slowed down to try and work out what was wrong, and at 30 mph it was 10 times worse. pulled into a layby and checked the wheels. looked ok until i checked it with the wheel brace. n/s front was loose as f*ck. and all the others were starting to come loose.

now. i checked all wheels were tight before i took it out night before. all seemed ok so any ideas as surely wheels dont just come loose especially as they're ok when i've got my turinis on.

have i possibly got to much excess paint in betweek the holes on the wheel where the bolt through, or did i just not mount the on the hub correctly. or was it something else?

sorry for the essay just a bit concerned! any help much appreciated :)

This always happens when we powdercoat/refurb wheels at work, always have to tighten the bolts up a bit more than you would so they get through the new layer of paint/powdercoat to be tight to the hub.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
is there anything you suggest i can do to the wheels so this doesnt happen again?

Evo 6, E92 320d
After you refit a wheel you are supposed to recheck with a torque wrench after 5 or so miles anyway.

I just tighten them right up until I can no longer move the bar. It's a bit brutal I know but we've never had any complaints of people having wheels falling off. I'd put a little copper grease on the bolts though or you may end up with them welding themselves to the paint.

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
After you refit a wheel you are supposed to recheck with a torque wrench after 5 or so miles anyway.

apparently so but i've always swapped between the wheels just using the wheel brace to the tightest i can get it and have never had any probs until putting the newly painted wheels on.

I just tighten them right up until I can no longer move the bar. It's a bit brutal I know but we've never had any complaints of people having wheels falling off. I'd put a little copper grease on the bolts though or you may end up with them welding themselves to the paint.

wouldn't the copper grease act as a lubricant so therefore making it looser or does it have the reverse effect and make it stonger?

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
so if i torqued them up they would be ok even though freshly painted?

fred - what nm do they need to be torqued too?

what do i need to buy a breaker bar or something? i know it uses it a 19mm socket for the bolt and ive got one of them.

Lionel Richie
i will bring you one next time i'm in, if you just do them up FT you can stretch them = they snap and your wheel flies off

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
i will bring you one next time i'm in, if you just do them up FT you can stretch them = they snap and your wheel flies off

*ouch* if i do them up full torque using the toruqe wrench then they will stretch?

cheers fred :)

330i. E30 Touring.
Lol. 75nm is what the haynes claims for most, I think. I always just make sure they're tight after a few miles.