ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Losing Water (A Fair Bit) HELP?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
So, my car's always used a bit of water, but the amount was rather insignificant. (Just needed a top up every 4-6 months or so)

Did a coolant change with a member off of here (flushed from bottom rad hose and changed thermostat) since then, I'm losing a fair bit of water, I mean I went from max to halfway in one weekend (did about 200 miles that weekend mind).

Any suggestions? Leaking from thermostat? Or maybe that bottom rad hose? Or somewhere else?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
You would see a leak surely!? Did you top it up after the loss and has it lost anymore, could have been a slight air lock.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I've topped it up a fair few times Ant. Then Saturday before driving up to my dads topped it up to max again, done a lot of driving and today it's below half.

Could it be leaking only when hot?

I haven't really looked for any leaks yet, just wanted to know if there was anywhere common worth checking as I'm off tomorrow....

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
The coolant will leave pink residue so leaks should be easy to spot, that is loosing alot. Check the top of the rad as i've seen a few clios with a slight split. When was the last time the water pump was changed?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Never...?

I haven't looked at all for leaks yet though, I hope it's that bottom rad hose and the clip isn't doing so well the second time around... Wishful thinking maybe.

Pink residue? It's green coolant FYI.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Green/pink it will still leave a residue. That bottom clamp is hard as a coffin nail no chance that has given up.

Bike*
I used to top it up all the time aswell, there is somthing you can buy to put on with your water that seals any gaps where water could be leaking, dunno what its called though
I think its just an elimination process really, keep trying

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah I'll have to keep at it.

It only started dropping this fast after we changed it. I'm hoping that it's something to do with the thermostat or something... we bought non genuine due to unforunate circumstances.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
almost certainly be coming out from the stat housing, I've had that issue with a non genuine item before

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I thought it may be the case, we only discovered we needed a new stat on a saturday afternoon... so it wasn't a choice.

I really do hope it is. (I guess I can just drain from the thermostat upwards) and then re-top up?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Renault don't make em and source them elsewhere - I've used QH Stats for years and never had issues with them leaking. You did change the seal didn't you?

Just a shot, does your rad have the drainage plug half way down on the right hand side? (if you are standing looking in the bonnet)

As mine decided it would brake the plastic bolt, outside the pub. Worth a look :)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Renault don't make em and source them elsewhere - I've used QH Stats for years and never had issues with them leaking. You did change the seal didn't you?

This stat was from euro car parts and came with a new seal? (By seal you mean the rubber ring around the edge right?)

I do also have a renault seal, which I bought separately, should I fit that to the current stat?

Just a shot, does your rad have the drainage plug half way down on the right hand side? (if you are standing looking in the bonnet)

As mine decided it would brake the plastic bolt, outside the pub. Worth a look :)

I'll have to have a look. Yey.

Replace and reseal the thermostat Rob.. :)

How do you mean reseal sweetie? I've only just changed it.

FF 182
I'm topping mine up alot also mate since getting forge hoses fitted :( resorted in just buying renault coolant and topping up as and when. No real visable leaks either

Not sure mine is the same problem as you though, think the forge hoses are just pure turd

clio sport 172 /5gtt
check the rad fan has not cut into the channels on the rad as mine has just done:( it only started yeasted day noticed a small puddle at the front but hardley any lose of coolant. after leting it warm up the smalleast of drips could then be seen only after i took the rad out could i see what caused the problem. £110 and a 1/2 a day messing around to change it over. 4 washers now fitted to make sure there is no contact

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Aluco had a problem with the bottom bung on the radiator iirc, it split and was losing water.

Mine lost a little water, but the amount lost kept increasing until it emptied itself pretty much instantly when running, this happened over about 3 months.. Was the water pump.

BMW M135i
Is there no white residue anywhere obvious? Feel the bottom of the stat housing it'll be covered in it if its leaking from there, its a white chalky residue you're looking for. Very distinctive smell.

BMW M135i
This is the evidence you're looking for. Not the rad specifically but thats what coolant looks like when it leaks and dries.

IMG_0619.JPG

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I haven't looked yet, but will tomorrow or Friday, I'll report back with my findings.

It seems to have only done this since changing the coolant, so it must be the thermostat or bottom rad hose....

340i
Is there no white residue anywhere obvious? Feel the bottom it'll be covered in it if its leaking from there, its a white chalky residue you're looking for. Very distinctive smell.

I am sure I've heard that in other context before :eek: