ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Losing Water - Head Gasket Failure?

Anyone know much about the 1.2 16v Clios? 2002 year

Symptoms are its losing water from the coolant tank, but no visible leak anywhere, and doesn't seem to be any noticable loss in power.. Losing about 1L of water a day

No visible signs of Oil in water, but slight mouse in oil filler cap. No visible signs of water on dipstick./. No signs of overheating

Head Gasket gone? Cooling water pump leaking internally?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
My 1.2 had a coolant leak, changed the water pump which had failed but then it still kept leaking and the head gasket went. Presume the new pump just increased the pressure and finally made the hg go big style.

ITB'd MK1
few mechanical diagnostics checks you can do, but you can only really get a good indication rather than a definitive answer. Does sound a lot like the water pump, and it's not too hard to get access to it and see if it's been leaking. There will be white scale under the pulley, most likely. not at all uncommon on the 1.2 16v

Fabia VRS Special Ed
bumping this old thread, I've started losing coolant and I've put a sheet under the car and it shows a stain directly under the engine.

I took a look at the bottom of the car and the bits directly underneath the engine in the middle are soaking :(

What makes it wierd is that the fan comes on as soon as the car is started, even though the engine is clearly cold.
Also the heaters work fine :S

Can anyone shed any light?

Also will a compression test find the problem area?

mini cooper R50
water pump and head was gone on mine last month, water only pished out when it was stood still after a run out so noticed that way

Fabia VRS Special Ed
mine's the same matey, it doesn't leak when running, but when it's stood still it leaks :(