ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Loss of power with lots of smoke!

Renaultsport Clio 172 Cup
This could be a bad one.

I was driving onto the motorway today when at about 55-60, about 4000rpm, I noticed a drop in power and a thick cloud of pale smoke from the exhaust (none from engine bay) when I went on the throttle. Oil level and temperature were both good. Too dark to see anything now so will look tomorrow, any obvious faults for now though?

oVerboost.

South West
ClioSport Area Rep
  Clio 182 LY
I guess you couldn't see the colour of the smoke? Although if it was dark and you could clearly see it it may well have been white.

It could be something simple like a hose split and leaked down onto the exhaust so you wouldn't always get steam from the bonnet when moving (not often though) or it could well be head gasket if the smoke is constant.

Have a look in the daylight, I hope it is nothing too serious though. :)

Had a quick look under the bonnet and no obvious signs of head gasket (thankfully). Just taken it out for a couple of laps round the block and no signs of problems, possibly fuel sensor maybe

PH1 172 Sport
This is a reasonably common fault. Rain water can sometimes get down the spark plug holes and stop them from firing.

My bet is one of your holes got water in it and caused that plug not to fire. You will get loads of white smoke out of the back and a loss in power. I suspect leaving the car overnight has dried the plug out and the problem has rectified itself.

That would explain why it's intermittent then! Thanks for that mate, I'll have a look at them before I do anything