ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lotus Festival / Race Report

Turbos.
Last weekend was the Lotus Festival at Snetterton. Its quite a big event there, never seen so many Elises! Think they set a world record for the amount of Lotus' on a track...

We had Friday for testing, where we shared space with old Formula cars and even Procar M1s.

P1080365.jpg

P1080345.jpg

P1080348.jpg

P1080343.jpg

P1080354.jpg

We'd raced only a little while back, so it should have been straight-forward. Although i had a little off when i managed to mash the brake and accelerator at the same time!

P1080344.jpg

As usual though, things weren't straight-forward after all... I came in after that off for the boys to say the engine didn't sound good. Checking the spark plugs, they had water on them. In other words, our freshly built engine's head gasket had lasted 100 miles...great!

It was the end of the day, so the race was on to get the engine swapped.

P1080346.jpg

P1080356.jpg

P1080349.jpg

P1080357.jpg

By mid-night, they had finished! We knew however, the power would be majorly down as the 'B' engine was at a far lower state of tune.

The next day, the sun was out again and i went for a walk around the paddock.

P1080366.jpg

P1080368.jpg

P1080350.jpg

P1080367.jpg

We also had some interesting neighbours...

P1080379.jpg

P1080373.jpg

P1080381.jpg

Considering the less powerful engine was in, qualifying didn't go so badly. I was about a second slower, but about half a second slower than my old man so i opted to start the race. Not before the public pitwalk though!

Qy2j1835.jpg

Qy2j1981.jpg

It was a rolling grid, so we were lined up in position in the pitlane.

lot3.jpg

As with the race here a few weeks back, it was a matter of keeping the faster cars (in a straight-line) behind for the first corner.

lot2.jpg

I had some scruffy laps following 2-Elevens, i winced every time i heard the floor crash against the rough ground; off the tarmac is like a farmer's field!

lot1.jpg

The rest of my stint was very frustrating, i was lacking grunt and couldn't slipstream. The 2-Eleven drivers had learnt from the last race where i would make my move too, so they simply sat on the apex to prevent me having a run at them. For some reason, the car felt fine but i wasn't getting into higher gears at the end of straights, i.e. wasn't carrying the same speed.

Qy2j1981.jpg

We then swapped over and i could rule out my driving, because my old man couldn't beat my times. Despite this, two of our main competitors got penalties for taking too short pit stops (they are 3 minute mandatory), so our position was good. However, there was a supercharged Honda car that was too fast to beat; my dad cruised to second in class...

Qy2j1286.jpg

Qy2j1781.jpg

Qy2j1270.jpg

There was quite a lot of battle damage, thanks to my off circuit shenanigans! Although, most of it was due to other cars spitting up crap!

P1080377.jpg

P1080376.jpg

P1080378.jpg

P1080375.jpg

Having inspected the car, the air filter was absolute full of dirt and associated s**t. The car was running lean because of it, which had robbed us of power, so we had an explanation of the lack of speed. My bad!

After the race there was some demo runs, including a Lotus Elise GT1 car, powered by the Lotus Esprit V8 turbo engine with circa 800bhp! In true Lotus fashion, it didn't even complete a lap! Looked awesome though...

2011-06-26152129.jpg

2011-06-26152145.jpg

2011-06-26152200.jpg

I'll get some video up soon...

172, Tiguan
Rob is there a reason apart from weight for persisting with the K series, or are you past the point of no return with that engine? Surely a Honda engine will give you the grunt you're after? Though I'm assuming that'll stick you in another class?

Turbos.
Just realised i posted Nurburgring photos there. Fail...

At the beginning of the season we were told that no non-manufacturer engines would be allowed to race in the series. However, some known (i.e. people not known to cheat!) Honda powered cars have subsequently been allowed in. So we could risk it, but there is always the chance they could be banned again. Again, at various stages in other race series', we have been warned against using non-manufacturer engines. The safest thing then, is to stick with the K-Series.

Lotus are officially involved with the series and, as you can understand, they want the modern cars to win because it is good for marketing/sales. So how long will they allow some £15k Elise with a Honda engine dominate before stepping in? This is ultimately why we haven't bothered...

At the weekend they stuck Gav Kershaw and Donnelly in an Evora to guarantee a win. Otherwise it would have probably have been a win for an (old!) 340R.

In fairness, our engine hasn't gone wrong for a while now. In fact, before it went for a rebuild it felt as strong as ever. Ironically, it was sent off as a precaution and rewarded us with HG failure...

Our last roll of the dice is getting in touch with Judd, who made a K-Series for the MG touring cars. They were supposedly reliable and powerful (275bhp). This would give us enough power to compete overall, rather than just in class. Our problem at the moment is the 2-Elevens are knocking on the door of 300bhp in Europe. We also have ballast for the sequential and other mods, which makes are car over 800kg with driver.

I have actually been looking for a GT4 2-Eleven to run alongside my dad in the Elise, but they are quite difficult to find. They've already stopped making the 'road' cars and they are considering making one more race car.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Great stuff Fenn face! Lols at the two Lotharios with the Yoko girls!

FML!

RB One Eight Two
The blonde Yoko girl came into our photo studio while she was getting her modelling portfolio together lol.