ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Loud clang and no acceleration.

Hi,

Please give me good news.

I started my engine today after a night of no use and when I start the engine everything is fine. I drive down my road slowly still no problems. I then pull out of my road onto a main road, put my foot down and I hear "clang" "clang", car just wont accelerate (or it makes a extra 1000 revs a minute) the whole car is like hesitating and not really going anywhere. I this happened until the engine warmed up to about quarter (on the guage) and it was back to its old self again. Anyone know what the hell is wrong?

I really would appreciate some help here! Thanks.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Back to basics..

Could be too rich or too lean a mixture, or no/weak spark. Dont have a clue what the clang would be though.

I guess when you say "back to basics" it might not be a big problem?

Is there a way I can change the fuel mixture myself? And is it a case of just replacing the spark plugs when you say weak or no spark?

Thanks mate!

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport

isnt it the problem nearly all 172#s and clios above 1.2 have been having.. i.e. banging under hard acceleration?? i have it mine, cant boot it in 1st gear heard it might be lose engine mounts...

insignia

could be plugs-my old 106 did same thing,kind of had 50% power for 10-15mins in mornings then it would suddenly cough up and give me 100% once warm

So many options! :confused:

NickyB,

Gotta realise your talking to a complete smack head when it comes to engines!

Electrics, Try your dizzy car and rotor arm!

Whats that?

Mr2 Roadster

Its were the spark plug leads come from... You need to pull them off, making sure you know which is from where and then unscrew it and check the contacts for wear/damage. Cost about £12 for am and rotor from Renault. Change it even if its not the problem, it will make a difference anyway.

I would recommend spending £15 on a Haynes Manual as well. WIll make it so easy and has help for diagnosing all general problems!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

glad it was the spark plugs and not those exspensive pencil type ing coils because thats normally the problem/cause of misfires.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

might have just been caused by the engine excessivly vibrating due to the misfire(eg-exhaust etc).