ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

low fuel warning light

It should come on at 1.1 gallons (5 liters) so about 40 miles if your very careful and get about 37mpg.

Astra SRi T
damn ! wallet and gf's place , got £3 cash on me, she lives 28 miles away, hope im not going to be sitting in to much traffic in the morning:S

Mercedes C Class Sport
yeah after 40miles left on the trip it goes to 2 dashes and then the warning light comes on. Using the fuel at the bottom of a tank isnt good for the car im sure ive heard?

Astra SRi T
It should come on at 1.1 gallons (5 liters) so about 40 miles if your very careful and get about 37mpg.

currently trip comp says 42.5mpg, and 59 miles, but i just know it'll turn to - - - - dashes in tne morning:dapprove:

clio...
yeah after 40miles left on the trip it goes to 2 dashes and then the warning light comes on. Using the fuel at the bottom of a tank isnt good for the car im sure ive heard?

Very true; Not recommended at all.

If I was you, I'd use that 3 quid and their must be a garage on the way to your gfs. knock the 3 quid in then get your wallet.

Or you can go fill the tank up and write an IOU. Am sure its law that they cannot say no. Sure bill bailey brought it up on topgear.

RenaultSport 197
Well my fuel light comes on when it hits around the 70ish mark. I have driven 28 miles with it on and it hasn't died. :)

Its not good doens't realy matter much though.
currently trip comp says 42.5mpg, and 59 miles, but i just know it'll turn to - - - - dashes in tne morning:dapprove:

It goes to dashes as the sensors not very accurate.

See My Clio? Tell Me
its seems to run off the trip computer! it first started when i replaced a drive shaft and it had the wrong abs ring on it which nocked the speedo out and the whole trip out then found i got the correct shaf on with the correct ring the fuel light was coming on way too early, once i rest the trip and turned the car off for a short while all was well|

Monaco Blue Mk2
I have seen mine on once and it just flashed a couple of times, I've let the needle get well into the red plenty of times but it just doesn't come on. There's obviously something up with it.

Suzuki Ignis Sport
Well when the light comes on, it usually says 37miles left till i have to fill up

M2 Competition
Most garages have a minimum fill of £5...

Im sure on a 172 the light means 30miles or so left.

Ive done near to empty before, lol, the 'just one more service station and i'll stop' game.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Minimum fill at shell is 2 litres all around here, if you put petrol in your car and do not pay, you get some sort of slip, they take your reg number etc and ask you to fill in a form. Then you can just come back and pay, if you fill up and don't ask they have to let you have it and drive off, whereas i think they are allowed to refuse if you ask. Just say oh no i'm really sorry i forgot my wallet, blah blah, i'll be back in around an hour. Problem solved :D

White R26/Stripped Valver
LOL at least you lot have your trip computers, on the valver when the fuel light comes on its anyones guess to how much you actually have in the tank (even though if i take a corner quick enough in me valver the fuel light will come on when i have over a 1/4 tank left)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
LOL at least you lot have your trip computers, on the valver when the fuel light comes on its anyones guess to how much you actually have in the tank (even though if i take a corner quick enough in me valver the fuel light will come on when i have over a 1/4 tank left)

Same for the mk2 ph1 RN, us basic car folk should stick together :D

The old bottom of the tank myth again. Cracks me up. Like the fuel is normally fed from the top of the tank or something.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I've done 40 miles with the light on before to try and make it till payday :p

Filled the tank with 49.something litres of petrol :p

A

Andyjock17

The old bottom of the tank myth again. Cracks me up. Like the fuel is normally fed from the top of the tank or something.

Its a good idea to run the fuel right down occasionally especially in older cars where the fuel level is monitored by a floating ball type system as these can get really inaccurate if u just keep topping ther tank up over a long period.

BMW M135i
As edde said the fuel warning light should come on with about 1 gallon left in the tank, although with mine theres 1 gallon it can't "see" (11 gallon tank and you can only get 9 gallons in when you should be able to get 10 in) so theres a bit more breathing room.

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER
Using the fuel at the bottom of a tank isnt good for the car im sure ive heard?

rubbish, whats the fuel filter for?

it aint good 'cos if you drive hard the pick up pipe could run dry as the remaining fuel sloshes about
also i once found (cust car complaing cuts out when cornering hard with 1/4 tank) a fag packet wrapper in tank. basically when the tank was fairly full the plastic wrapper floated out of the way of the pick up pipe. when the tank was low the wrapper blocked the pipe
....was funny tho :D

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
it is 5 litres. i filled up when the light was on once, and i got 46 and a bit litres in.