ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Low & High mileage - As bad as each other?

Civic Vtec y0
Would you say low mileage is as bad a problem as high mileage?

Looking at a 2000 Clio with only 15000 miles on the clock (Average approx 1500 per year) I am worried tho that this will maybe cause more problems than buying a average mileage model? Surely only covering 1500miles a year cant be good? Has basically took 10 years to run the engine in?

Or am I being silly?

Mondeo STTDCI
Has it been serviced every year as it should be? Or has it only got one stamp!

Thats the key.

And dont forget the components are still 10 years old. So dont expect the bits that are prone to deteioration not to have deteriorated.

Mainly a tow truck
Just have a good look around and take it for a drive, i have a low mileage car and its great as it has minimal rattles and everything is nice and tight.

Just ignore the miles and inspect it like you would any other.

Carl

53 Clio's & counting
I would prefere a high mile car that has been used every day, than a very low mile car

Reaon being i had a mk2 astra with 28k, and ended up with problems due to it never being used

My 172 has 133k now, runs as good as ever, original clutch, box etc

Civic Vtec y0
Has it been serviced every year as it should be? Or has it only got one stamp!

Thats the key.

And dont forget the components are still 10 years old. So dont expect the bits that are prone to deteioration not to have deteriorated.

Doesnt mention in the advert about history so will need to ask, suppose components may still fail

I would prefere a high mile car that has been used every day, than a very low mile car

Reaon being i had a mk2 astra with 28k, and ended up with problems due to it never being used

My 172 has 133k now, runs as good as ever, original clutch, box etc

All my prev cars (bar my current Clio) have been old high milers and I didnt have a great deal of problems. Timing belt snapped on a old Clio but I paid £200 for the car, put 10-12k miles on it and sold it with a broken timing belt for £200 lol

Maybe I'll just stick to the normal

You're being silly!

Thanks love x

ValverInBits
It's entirely down to how it's been treated. Cars from london end up doing sod all miles but having hard lives.

Proper servicing rules give time and mileage dependant service life. Eg 172 cambelt 72k or 5 years.
As long as it's been serviced well I'd say your on to a good thing (provided it's not expensive).
How many owners has it had? what kind of drivers are they? Is there service history of oil/water changes. These are the questions ;)

Civic Vtec y0
One owner from new, looks immaculate in the pics (I know looks can be deceiving tho) and is priced very very well

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
I'd be asking about the service history and how it's been used. If it's been taken for a good drive every weekend thats much better than doing a few miles each day IMO. Also it'll be due a cambelt next year if the owner has followed the service intervals properly.