ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lowering 1.2 ?

1.2 16v
Was talking to a lad at work 2day about lowering my 1.2, he says its a waste of time unless your keeping the car for a while, im gettin rid of my 1.2 next year as ill be gettin a sport, the cars imaculate inside and out just thought lowering it would give the car some more style but ive been tottaly put of by him as hes said it balds the tyres and the car bounces horribly under breaking, being a poor wage because of being 19 i cant exactly afford coilovers so it would have to be lowering springs, just wondered if someone whos lowered a 1.2 could tell me if its worth it and what the best springs would be, cheers, Matt :)

1.2 16v
is it worth the hassle for one year though?
spending £150 on sport springs for them to be coilovers when i get a sport?
& is it true about the bouncing under breaking and the balding of the tyres?

People on this forum seen to say 50mm or lower... Or leave it...

I wanted sportline springs (best drop out of the 2 eibach non sport springs), But only got hold of the prolines for cheap.

They're supposed to lower something like 15-20mm, But ive got a decent drop front and back..

If your keeping standard non sport alloys, Get the sportlines for the drop... 2nd hand if you can, 4 hours to fit for me as a novice.. i would think 2 ½ hrs now ive done it...

well worth it.

1.2 16v
I dont mind buying the lowering springs if the ride is decent, the concerns i have are the balding of the tyres, dont really wanna be buying new tyres every few months, the bouncing when breaking and the shockers not being able to hack it. Are the lowering springs really worth the money or should i hold out for a good long time and buy coilovers?

As long as you don't lower it more than 50mm ish... (some are running -60mm and still standard shocks) you will be fine... Its only when you go really low on springs and keep standard shock absorbers it ruins them over time.

No its not true about balding of the tyres, When you lower you need to get your tracking checked, I got mine checked after i lowered and it was still good, Its just best to check the wheels are aligned..

If your tracking is out, i.e. your tyres are straight but ever so slightly pointing inwards/outwards etc etc, Then the tyres will ware incorrectly, you might get wheel vibrations at speed etc ... if tracking is checked... all fine.

Who told you about the bouncing and the balding? sounds like they've got a problem !!