ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lowering advice needed!! ;-)

Ultra Red Clio 197
Right, basically im interested in lowering my 2001 1.2 Clio Dynamique...But I havent a clue what i'll need to do it, or how much its likely to cost me..

I wouldnt want to go any lower than 30mm-40mm. so can anyone point me in the direction of a good place to buy the equipment? Ive looked on ebay, and theres springs for £50-£60... are these suitable or just a waste of time and money?

cheers
Ross ;)

ATS CUP'd Dynamique
as you're only lowering it 40mm max you will only need springs not shocks, so you will only need to buy springs not a full suspension kit.

try K-tec racing, they have a good selection

RB 182 Cup
he can easily go 60mm on standard shocks as its not a problem for them. all you need a standard socket set that goes up to 18 i think, what ever size the front shock top mount bolt is swan neck spanned and 6mm allen key and finally some spring clamps. oh and some spanners for the front shocks for when you undo them from the hub which is 18 again i think.

BMW M5 & E36
Nuts/bolts holding the shock to the hub are 18mm, top mount is 21mm, nut on the end of the shock is 17mm and thats about all. Was for me anyway. Alot of people on here rate the Eibach Sportlines, might be worth having a look at?

RB 182 Cup
i would go for sportlines, nice set up and go down about 60mm. Mines on sportlines and apex dampers and handles amazing

Personaly I'd never just upgrade the springs as Renault setup is the better one either spend a lot or not at all.

Those ones you've linked to are APEX which I'd definatly not recomend Eisback are the only ones i'd recomend if your only willing to change springs and won't keep the better stock setup.

40 vs 60 etc lowering means nothing compnaies sell springs on there height regardless of it they actually lower the true amount. I'me seen coilovers which were supposidly set 60mm lower than stock (although it realy was 40mm down) being lower than 60 mm springs which had loads of weight in the boot and worn with the owners clmaining they were down 80mm etc.

As for chnaging shocks at certain heights well they a waste as well shock were the lower the car car goes the shorter the shocks life but who knows how long mine were what I deeemed worn at 50k on stock springs other have 100k on 60mm lowering springs and are happy. Driving style etc also has a huge impact on life span.

As for fitment its easy enough get someoene who a mechanical knowedge if its your first time to help and use some spring compressors.

Haynes givs you a great idea.