ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lowering an RT

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

Ive just got my first car, a 1.4RT. I know its not that fast but Im only 18 so mustnt grumble, eh!
First on my long list of intended mods is to get the beast lowered. Its a K plate but its only done 42000 miles, so I dont know whether to get a set of lowering springs and get the torsion beams dropped, or bite the bullet and get a full kit.
Any advice would useful, just bear in mind that money is an issue.

Cheers!

if moneys an issue go for spring first then use it till the shocks die then replace em. got to get the most out of em. what other mods u got planned?

Where do you start!
ICE
Alloys
Steering wheel/gear knob
some body mods - rear spoiler, that sort of thing.
Cant do too much to the enging cos of insurance. Definately gatting a new exhaust.

On the look out for ideas at the moment, Ive only had it for a few days!

you can ket a full kit for cheap. I initially used monroe gas dampers with -55mm pi springs, and they were fab, just as good as the konis i got now. probably get away with the whole kit for 200 quid

no,lower it first as itll be really slammed on standard rims, and will look cool in a kooky kind of way. and youll apreciate the better handling.

steelys are cool man, i was gonna get 15" weller steelys and wrap them in sticky cut slicks, because there lighter than alloys!!!and look dead cool on a stripped out racer!

i take it you dont like steels?...haha alot of race cars use them, and i think they look fing cool.

Calm Down! Calm Down!
Alloys are definately next on the list and Ill get them as soon as funds allow.
For the record, I also agree that alloys on a non-lowered car look sh*te!

So I take it now have a 4x4 then? I just got 16s on my RT, and they scrub if i have more than 2blokes in d back! I think u should get massive alloys, then fill it fulla ICE - thats kinda wot i trie, but it IS still a bit high! Well, let be off to drive my pride and joy! *Now wheres that ladder.....?

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

well I lowered my 1400 first 40mm and it was *low*, looked kind of euro style.
Then got the alloys later.

BMW 320d Sport

Definitely lower it first - unless you want your Clio to look like a Nova rollerskate. Come on, weve all seen Novas and other small hatches with 7x15 ( and bigger) on there and they look ridiculous. A 16v is lower than the rest of the Clios anyway, so you can do just the wheels and it fills the arches nicely. On an RT youve got such a huge gap that any alloys are gonna look totally sh*t with all that ground clearance.

LOWER IT FIRST!!! PLEASE!

yes yes yes, i made that mistake and it looked stupid!
bworley: what you doin with blokes in the back of your car!!!