ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lowering: Insurance

120d M Sport
Want to order some Eibach sportlines for my 1.2 Clio

Im a named driver on my Moms policy lol :eek: what should I do with regards to notifying insurace?

Should I just stick em on and not bother?

Or should I get the mother to ring the insurance (RAC) and tell them whats happening (probably will do this anyway)

What sorta price do they tend to hike your policy up by, if any?

Any help would be much appreciated, cheers :)!

If you don't declare, your mum's insurance is invalid.

Get her to declare them, although they may question why a middle aged woman is lowering her car and look into just how much you drive it compared to her...

120d M Sport
Not good lol! Good point tho.

Thanks mate...any1 else had any problems when informing the insurance or plain sailing?

A3 Tdi
when i was enquiring about mine the insurance was fine matey but that was only by 30mm (Adrian Flux)
tbh i think the insurance might look into your policy a bit.....
but i suppose if your mums the main driver and your lowering/declaring the mod to the car, its all legit!

M2 / Golf GTI
I'd ring them for a quote before you go fitting anything. Don't want to fit them then have them say they wont cover it leaving you with no insurance.

120d M Sport
So you reckon they may not even increase the premium at all or?

Im with the RAC

really would be pissed off if I couldnt lower it lol, car needs it tbh

Apart from if they look on here... lol

To the OP...

You say it's your car but you're on your mum's insurance policy? Definitely sounds like 'fronting' or whatever it's called.

I wouldn't necessarily confirm this on a public forum by replying to me ;) but next year sort your own insurance out!!

As it's the RAC they'll probably want to bum rape you for mods anyway lol

Try CIS next year!

120d M Sport
Apart from if they look on here... lol

To the OP...

You say it's your car but you're on your mum's insurance policy? Definitely sounds like 'fronting' or whatever it's called.

I wouldn't necessarily confirm this on a public forum by replying to me ;) but next year sort your own insurance out!!

As it's the RAC they'll probably want to bum rape you for mods anyway lol

Try CIS next year!

No shame in it for me tbh mate... Insurance is in her name yep, worked out cheapest I just wanted to get on the road asap back then, cost £1900 that way (Im 17) would have been over £2k on my own. Will be going on my own end of this year though

Oh well I;ll get her 2 ring them and see what they say...

Adrian Flux the company to be with for mods then what you reckon?
Personally I wouldn't go near them again.

I've posted before about them so have a search for my rantings lol

CIS are pretty cool about some mods and they're also pretty cheap, and you can drive other cars Third Party while you're under 25, which 99.9% of other companies won't let you do.

kic

former 1.2 16v, now corsa
insurance when i went for it was dearer for me as a named driver on my dads policy, i went on my own and added my dad to bring it down, weird but worked out, im with bell

120d M Sport
insurance is a bloody rip off, how much u thinking of lowering by matey?

Knowsit mate- getting arse raped by insurance ftl! How much u paying for yours (with your mods) Jord?Decided on Eibach sportlines which is 40-50mm front and 35mm rear:approve:

Personally I wouldn't go near them again.

I've posted before about them so have a search for my rantings lol

CIS are pretty cool about some mods and they're also pretty cheap, and you can drive other cars Third Party while you're under 25, which 99.9% of other companies won't let you do.

Ah thats cool..that is a rareity lol. Come to think of it lad down my road had his old XR2i with CIS at 18. I;ll get a quote off them thanks:)

insurance when i went for it was dearer for me as a named driver on my dads policy, i went on my own and added my dad to bring it down, weird but worked out, im with bell

Worked out nicely for u then, Interesting that though...Will give them a try aswell

A3 Tdi
I just wanted to get on the road asap back then

So did i, but i thought against voiding the insurance policys and breaking the law, so i payed the extra and got my own policy :approve:

2004 Clio 1.2 bucket
my policy went up £5 a month for lowering springs ... norwich union .. 19 first year driving

FOCUS ST 275
Bloodyhell, with Adrian Flux to add Exhaust and lowering springs would add another £200 a year to my insurance, told them to stick their insurance.

Chris Knott is where its at.

Evo 8 MR
I got a quote with Adrian Flux with a huge list of mods, some I haven't done yet and it worked out cheaper than insuring the standard car with another company.

Anyway on topic, honestly I would say get your own insurance and then tell them about as many mods as you like but if you are going to carry on along the fraudulent route then you may aswell not tell them as we are talking minimal lowering here with these springs I'd be surprised if anyone noticed and if push comes to shove your MUM bought the car like that and hasn't touched it in terms of mods.

I'm not condoning that method in any way though and as said, get your own insurance!