ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lowering...Without stiffening

Clio 172
Hi guys (and gals?) Ive recently bought a 53 172, its way too high so want to lower it, 40-60mm, but I like the way it rides now and dont really want it any stiffer. Havent got a big budget so probably just want springs for a tempery measure until I can afford something better in a year or so.
So because of this im just looking a a set of springs, Is it possible to lower the 172 this much without stiffening the suspension?
If it is, what springs are best?
If it isnt, what springs would do the job best?

Also, if I fitted 17's and the car was lowered 60mm, would i get any rubbing with 4 people in the car?

Thanks for any help!!!
Rich

mk4 golf gttdi180
go for somet like apex 40mm ive lowered myne 40mm and it still as soft as standard but ive replaced the rear with adjustables and they were only 60

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
you cant go -60 on springs, lowest you can take it on springs is -40mm and it will be a harsh crashy ride.

coilovers are an option but also still a bit harsher depending on what yo go for.

eibach sportinlines will drop it 25mm or so and wont make the ride much harsher, just stiffen it slightly

you cant go -60 on springs, lowest you can take it on springs is -40mm and it will be a harsh crashy ride.

coilovers are an option but also still a bit harsher depending on what yo go for.

eibach sportinlines will drop it 25mm or so and wont make the ride much harsher, just stiffen it slightly

Mate you can go as low as you want on springs, dont' take much to get and get a set of springs made up to drop it 300mm if you really wanted.

You can get custom springs made up at the same poundage from a motrosport place, just shorter, but most likley with a car full of people you'll be riding on bump stops.....imagine how much your car rolls going round corners as it is and then imagine that 40-50mm lower, esp when you hit bumps.

You can go lower on springs but if you want a decent ride get progressivly wound springs (this get stiffer the lower the car goes, ie over bumps) and adjustable shocks, then you can fine tune the ride to how you like it

Mustang, S13, AX GT
no matter what you pick lowering the car will go you a harder ride, I found that springs were OK but very crashy over potholes and speed humps. Coilovers were by far the best option as they were still reasonably soft but went pretty low. I had my clio lowered by around 70-80mm on 17s and it only rubbed occasionally on full right lock

Ph1
Lowering springs arnt that harsh a ride.

Eibach Sportlines is probably the one you should go for if your worried about comfort. Apex will lower it more (40 mm) but you'll get a slightly more comfy ride with a Eibach as thier progressively wound

Mustang, S13, AX GT
They were when I had them mate, not overly hard but very nasty once hit any bumps