ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

LPG in a valver or 172

What are everyones thoughts on this, does LPG effect performance? and what are the pros and cons of this?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Noooo. really not worth it in that size car.

weight/balance/power would all be affected.

Pros are 37p a litre fuel but the 172 isnt a gas guzzler.

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

Never really heard of them fitted to performance cars but ive never heard of any performance problems in normal cars untill the pressure drops.

Wont be 37p a litre for long anyway, as soon as more people use it mr brown will put the tax uop!

Thought that was why it was so cheap, because it didnt have tax on it, i think if you add the tax that is on petrol onto it then its about teh same price as petrol.

LPG has been done in performance cars one of the few Bugatti EB110s was converted to run on it. As far as mod friendly goes the more oxygen you mix with it the better (NOS) and as they are both gases itl burn hotter and quicker than anything you can mention. Only down side is the equivalent MPG is lower than petrol so some of the cost benifit is ofset by the fact it burns more of the stuff

intresting, but MPG will be lower on a EB110 considering its quad turbos, or did you mean in any car LPG gets consumed faster than petrol?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by ak16v on 09 January 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 09 January 2004

Err yeah. its fuel.
What do you mean? I know its fuel.

Sorry i mean most things you do to improve the engine will benifit both petrol and lpg. after all its just fuel and burns in the same way.

its slightly less mpg in an lpg car because the engine isnt optimised for lpg.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

we service council vans with the lpg convertion and they run the same on either gas or petrol,you just have to warm up the engine before you switch to gas.why on a 172 though?if you wanted mega economy to potter about why dont you just get a more economical model like a dci.

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50

Errr, i watched a programme on sky where Jeramy clarkson was talking about it, he drove a diesel land rover on it.. Its not been out long, but you can get a conversion for diesels

its got a higher octane rating than petrol but you can,t tune engines to run on it cause then they won,t run on petrol

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by Bubbles on 09 January 2004

Errr, i watched a programme on sky where Jeramy clarkson was talking about it, he drove a diesel land rover on it.. Its not been out long, but you can get a conversion for diesels
you cant run it totally on gas without having problems.you couldnt just use the same gas as petrol because it would destroy the engine internally(to exsplosive).the pump also reqs deisal running through it all the time for lubrication.it sounds like a very complicated and exspensive conversion if somebodys done it.

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.

Had a quote for this about 6 months ago and the cost for a conversion to my clio 172 was £1800 +VAT.

I didnt even think about it any more, unless I was to be doing over 60,000 miles a year.