ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lumpy, Loud and Slow...

PB172
Okay so lately been noticing that the 172 has been a bit slow at rising the revs in lower gears making it a bit jumpy and slow to begin with.

I drove from my house to a friends house, about 3 miles away, no different to normal just as I said before a little bit slow jumpy sloppy and generally not smooth through the revs. Stopped at his for a bit watched a film then as we got in the clio to go back to mine the engine suddenly became really loud, as if there where 2 tones to the engine.

Noticed a massive lack in speed and response, started smelling a funky smell and then the best part... the amber engine management light started to flash...

Anyone got a foggy idea what it could be? We tried plugging my mates cheapo fault reader into the 172 but it said there where no recorded faults... :/ Surely if the EM light came on there would of been a fault recorded... Otherwise it kinda defeats the point of the light doesn't it?

Does it sound like a possible catalytic converter problem? Or something else?

Had a look at the intakes and the air box adapter was kinda hanging off the throttle body as well... I'm betting this didn't do it any good. Tried to tighten it up to discover that the jubilee clip was knackered... Replaced that and left it for an hour to start it up again to find it was a little more stable but still not normal... Engine ticks over fine... It's been fully serviced by Mick @ Diamond Motors not long ago so everything should be mint the engine so I'm looking at something else I hope!

Any help would be majorly helpful before I take it a local garage to see what they say...

Cheers!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
CAT and or MAP Sensor issue most likely matey. Is the smell sulfurous and eggy?

PB172
Quite yes.
MAP sensor? Would that be a lot of money? Should I get an emissions test to see if it is the CAT?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
New, they're fairly pricey but one from a scrap yard car will be fine... Scenic, Lagunga, Clio all use the same MAP Sensor.CAT needs unbolting and the engine running to rule out a blockage/collapse issue. Its pikey but 100% functional

PB172
Just popped it into the garage and they said it's nothing to do with the cat but the coil pack. Quoted me £100 roughly tomoz to get it ordered in and fitted?

Is that fairly priced or? Could I fit a coil pack easily myself?

1eight2
Just popped it into the garage and they said it's nothing to do with the cat but the coil pack. Quoted me £100 roughly tomoz to get it ordered in and fitted?

Is that fairly priced or? Could I fit a coil pack easily myself?

Depends how mechanically minded you are. Not sure on the Clio as I havn't changed mine but on my 20vt Golf I changed 4 in around 30 minutes with barely any mechanical knowledge.

PB172
Yeah I've had a look at they seem to just be bolted onto the back o the inlet or so... :/ Don't know if that's majorly overpriced as eBay have coil packs for like £35 although no guarantee etc...

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
why would the coil pack make a smell? i'd say the cat fella
It can happen as unburnt fuel gets thrwon thru the CAT... Causes it to over heat and smell.Jude, a coil pack you can change yourself mate they're easy! Just make note of the order the plug leads are in.Mick

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I didn't charge z8jay that to drive to his house on a Sunday and swap his for him... deffo don't pay someone a tonne for what is sure to be a cheap £35 coilpack from an autofactors.

Mick

172 Phase 1 & 172 Ph
I have a spare coil pack and leads from when i was trying to sort mine but it turned out to be the injectors. Where you based? colchester or stafford? (I'm based about 20-30 mins from stafford) we could sort something, wouldn't mind fitting it for you.

PB172
Cheers guys gonna blag it tomorrow and just fit one myself to be fair. Didn't realize it was quite that much :/

Clio 197
Coil packs are easy, remove you engine cover and you will have it off in minutes as it is sat right at the top of the engine.