ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lupo GTI or 106 GTI

Girlfriend is after a new car very shortly and I have talked her into getting something nippy which can handle well and has plenty of go. She is not wearing a 172 unfortunatley as she has a clio at the moment and doesnt want another one even though I have insisted there is no similarity whatsover from the one she has now and a 172. However I have got her convinced that a 106 GTI for about 7 and a half grand with around 20,000 miles on it is the way to go, until I looked into the Lupo GTI. One can be picked up with all the gadgets and a six speed gear box for 9 grand with 20K on it sat on a 2001 plate.

Anyone have any thoughts as I will be on the insurance too so will get to have a play once in a while.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Lupo? its nicer inside and comes with more toys than a 172

no mate

Get the 106 (if you must)

What about the ibiza cupra? or a 306 gti?

R5 Gordini Turbo

Lupo, I have the same dilemma with my GF, either a 106 or a Lupo. She has a Lupo 1.4 at the moment and I can get them at the same price as a 106 and the lupo is more modern and built well. Also it is fairly cheap to insure.

Yeah get the lupo, i thinks its really cool, supposed to be good fun as well!

Better residuals, better made and looks better IMO.

Shes just gotta test drive them both (and a 172 just to compare!) My sister has a 106gti and she loves it, she learned to drive in a Lupo and chose the 106 over it, but I recon if you get her in a 172 shell be sold, I know I was!!!

FRS Mk3 Red edition

I once owned a lupo GTI as did Zidan.smart looking car, no toys whats so ever, all on the options list.quick car, handles, well gearbox was brilliant i would hazard a guess not as quick as the 106 GTi by a shade.be careful when buying as the build quality is not all it is cracked up to be.i rejected mine after 4 weeks due to bad paintwork and serious rattles inside.customer service from VW UK very poor dont give a damm about customers!!

lupo very exclusive as they had a high list price, probably a good buy 2nd hand.make sure it has a/c, cannot be fitted at the dealerships. Lupos xenon lights were brilliant,they turned everything blue.

Thanks for the helpfull responses everyone!! Test drives over the weekend I think!!

I was orginally after a 172 but when I was looking I was only 19 and the insurance was plain silly. That is why I got a Mini Cooper as they were only group 8. Then I read about the Cooper S so I just ordered it (on the day I collected my Cooper as it happens!!) and got delivery of that 7 months later.

I will get her to try the 172 but for some reason she is having none of it. I have test drove the 172 twice now and thought it was excellent for the money for the pace, standard kit and fairly exclusiveness of them.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

I really like Lupos, but the 106 is quicker, handles better and is cheaper...

Best thing to do is drive them both.

Get a Saxo VTS if you can persuade her - £10k for a very similar car to the Pug (and possibly free insurance).

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

But the Saxo is a LOT more common, the handling is different, there are bits of trim and stuff "missing" (get them on a 106) and of course the interior is nowhere near as nice as the 106...

I paid that bit extra and got a 106 when I was after one of these.