ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

M1 Mac's

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
I'm torn on the new Pros, specs look amazing, getting on the Apple silicon will only make things better... but they're proper spenny, 14" is the same price as the previous 16" and the design is somewhat questionable, bit boxy, black keyboard mounting, notch and ugly ports haha

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The design is the best ever. Those screens are alien tech. Very impressed. I mean an sad slot alone is worth buying it for!

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I was going to hold out for this revision, but glad I didn't now. Some changes I really like, MagSafe is great, and so is getting rid of the touchbar.

Design wise though I think it's regressed, the black keyboard mounting makes it look like one of those cheap old massive HP laptops, the shape isn't very sleek, it makes it look more bulky, even if it's not, and while I understand the reason for having a notch, and you can argue that no one really needs that part of the screen, it just looks weird.

Can the new screen tech completely un-backlight either side of the notch when watching videos in full screen so it's less distracting?

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Do any other M1 users use BetterTouchTool?

I love my M1, but one problem I have that I didn't have with my old Intel is how laggy and weird my trackpad reacts after waking from sleep; I end up getting random zooms when I do two finger scroll, or scrolling becomes really notchy and either scrolls a tiny amount or loads of lines at once, or I'll be scrolling and it'll just suddenly stop scrolling next swipe.

RS Clio 182
I was going to get the new imac - but now ive seen the macbook pros coming with the faster chip....im in a quandry hehe! I use Logic Pro a lot as a music producer,and also video editing stuff - so is the normal M1 chip in the imac good enough? Im coming from an old 2009 imac,so anything is going to seen a lot quicker hehe. The main thing about the imac for me is the 24 inch screen,which id rather have.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Just get a good quality monitor and the MacBook Pro and you’ve got best of both worlds then.

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
My 14 Pro turned up today, safe to say it's a complete beast, even just with the modest spec.
I don't have anything original to say about it but it does feel like everything the Mac should be, no weird gimmicks like the previous ones (looking at you TouchBar and USB C only).
tempImage7Twxyf.png

I sold my 15” 2019 MBP to my brother last month as it wasn’t really being used. I’m considering upgrading my windows desktop as it’s pretty much in the spec I built it in way back in 2012.
One thing that has crossed my mind in the Mac Mini, has anyone got the M1 version? Gotta admit I’m a sucker for the ecosystem and love how “it just works” across all the apple devices

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
I sold my 15” 2019 MBP to my brother last month as it wasn’t really being used. I’m considering upgrading my windows desktop as it’s pretty much in the spec I built it in way back in 2012.
One thing that has crossed my mind in the Mac Mini, has anyone got the M1 version? Gotta admit I’m a sucker for the ecosystem and love how “it just works” across all the apple devices
It’s the same M1 chip as the other 1st gen M1 products (iMac, 13” MBP etc) and in the iMac at least it’s really great, everything is instant and it’s a proper capable device.
Unless you’re planning on some heavy photo or video editing I’d say the M1 is fine, but sounds like the M1 Pro will be coming to the Mac Mini early next year.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The Mac mini is a beast by all accounts. Doesn't have the restrictions of 1st M1 MacBook for example. Very impressive thing.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Yeah, I do.

To give you an idea of just how good it is, I had a DTK and the first time I powered it up I was blown away with just how fast it was, it wasn't "a little bit better" than the intel mac I use as a daily driver, it was like silly fast.

When the DTK went back to Apple, I bought my own M1 mini so that I could test my software on it natively.

It's a seriously impressive machine.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Procured myself a Mac Mini today. £619 from Costco which seemed to be the cheapest around. Plus you get an extended warranty FoC. Should be here in a few days. Excited.

If you know of it cheaper elsewhere….STFU, I don’t want to know now 😂

Strell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman JCW
Procured myself a Mac Mini today. £619 from Costco which seemed to be the cheapest around. Plus you get an extended warranty FoC. Should be here in a few days. Excited.

If you know of it cheaper elsewhere….STFU, I don’t want to know now 😂
Seem like a bargain. Might get myself one for work!
If anyone does know cheaper let me know!

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Turned up this morning. Love it. Huge step up from my 2010 MBP (obviously). Only minor issue I have had is Airplay to the Sonos in my room has been a bit hit and miss. There was an update to MacOS so have done that and the following restart. Will see if that sorts it.

Now hate using my work laptop which, despite only being 7 months old, now seems slow AF in comparison.

First world problems I guess.

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a Mac Mini this week, however I can't decide on which sotrage to go for. When I had my MacBook Pro, I always regretted not getting more than 256GB as it seemed to fill up quite quickly.

I'm able to get the 512GB model for £808 and the 256GB for £630...

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
If it's going to be sat in one place, cheaper to get the lower storage and buy an external hdd?

£178 for 256gb of extra space is daylight robbery, if that's the only difference.